mikeo

Default preview odd number pages on the right and even on the left

In View 'Print Layout' - Zoom 'Two Pages' - how do I select the view so that
the odd numbered pages are on the right and the even numbered pages are on
the left and not the other way round. i.e. view just like a book.
mikeo

Found an answer in the search forum that I didn't see before. Seems to work.
Haven't tried Suzanne's solution.
Cheers
Mike

Insert a temporary page break before page 1

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"apic" wrote in message

I have a Word document which I intend to print double sided and bind
into a 'book'. How can I persuade Print Preview showing Multiple Pages
(1x2) to show my document page layout as it will appear in my book, ie
page 2 on the left & page 3 on the right etc rather than the default of
page 1 on the left & page 2 on the right etc.

--
apic

Word will do this if you enable "Mirror margins" (Margins tab) and/or
"Different odd and even" (Layout tab) in Page Setup.

"mikeo" wrote:

In View 'Print Layout' - Zoom 'Two Pages' - how do I select the view so that
the odd numbered pages are on the right and the even numbered pages are on
the left and not the other way round. i.e. view just like a book.

Inserting a temporary page break is cheating and will throw your numbering
off. Much better to enable "Different odd and even" or "Mirror margins."

"mikeo" wrote in message
Found an answer in the search forum that I didn't see before. Seems to

work.
Haven't tried Suzanne's solution.
Cheers
Mike

Insert a temporary page break before page 1

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"apic" wrote in message

I have a Word document which I intend to print double sided and bind
into a 'book'. How can I persuade Print Preview showing Multiple Pages
(1x2) to show my document page layout as it will appear in my book, ie
page 2 on the left & page 3 on the right etc rather than the default of
page 1 on the left & page 2 on the right etc.

--
apic

Word will do this if you enable "Mirror margins" (Margins tab) and/or
"Different odd and even" (Layout tab) in Page Setup.

so
all may benefit.

"mikeo" wrote:

In View 'Print Layout' - Zoom 'Two Pages' - how do I select the view so

that
the odd numbered pages are on the right and the even numbered pages are

on
the left and not the other way round. i.e. view just like a book.

mikeo

Puzzled on this as my document aready has 'Different odd and even', (I assume
you are talking about 'Layout' - 'Headers & Footers' here), and has 'Mirror
Margins' set.
Still, in two page preview, previews page 1,3,5, etc. on the left and 2,4,6
etc. on the right. My document is 322 pages and viewing like a book was
helpful as certain pages needed to be left and right to ensure continuation
of content.

Inserting a tempory page break at the start of the document just dropped in
a blank first page and hence moved page 1 across. It didn't change the page
numbering - it might do if I update TOC or Index, but haven't done that so
still maintained original numbering.
Mike

"mikeo" wrote:

In View 'Print Layout' - Zoom 'Two Pages' - how do I select the view so

that
the odd numbered pages are on the right and the even numbered pages are

on
the left and not the other way round. i.e. view just like a book.

If I create a three-page document with a large number on each page (1, 2,
3), here's what happens (Word 2003):

1. Go to Print Preview and see a single page.

2. Change the view to 1x2 pages and see 1&2 or 3.

3. Go to Page Setup and choose "Different odd and even."

with room for another page on the left). If I click on the Multiple Pages
button, the palette that previously had 1x1 as the first button and 1x2 as
the second now has 1x2 as the first and 1x4 as the second. 1x4 is obviously
what is being displayed.

5. Change that setting to 1x2 and see 1 or 2&3.

6. Go Page Setup. Clear "Different odd and even" and select "Mirror
margins."

7. Go to Print Preview and see 1 or 2&3.

The same sequence also happens in reverse, if I set 1x2 and then change to
"Mirror margins." Apparently Word has an entirely different "Multiple Pages"
set up for duplex documents.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Inserting a temporary page break is cheating and will throw your

numbering
off. Much better to enable "Different odd and even" or "Mirror margins."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"apic" wrote in message

I have a Word document which I intend to print double sided and bind
into a 'book'. How can I persuade Print Preview showing Multiple

Pages
(1x2) to show my document page layout as it will appear in my book,

ie
page 2 on the left & page 3 on the right etc rather than the default

of
page 1 on the left & page 2 on the right etc.

--
apic

Word will do this if you enable "Mirror margins" (Margins tab) and/or
"Different odd and even" (Layout tab) in Page Setup.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"mikeo" wrote:

In View 'Print Layout' - Zoom 'Two Pages' - how do I select the view

so
that
the odd numbered pages are on the right and the even numbered pages

are
on
the left and not the other way round. i.e. view just like a book.

mikeo

Thanks for your persistance here Suzanne.
I've now figured out what I was doing. 'File' - "PRINT PREVIEW" this is the
secret!!!

I was working on the document with 'View' 'Print Layout' 'Zoom' - % to 2
pages which displayed pages side by side and scrolled vertically as I paged
up & down.

Using the example you indicated below, I tried and yes - in 'File' 'Print
Preview' it flips the pages correctly, in the 'View' 'Print Layout' 'Zoom' -
% to 2 pages view it doesn't. However, if you drop in a page break right at
the front it will flip the pages. The advantage of this is that you can see
the correct layout and EDIT the pages as you work. With my large document I
also tried updating both my TOC and index and the page numbers weren't
affected as the page numbers started a few pages into the document.

My suggestion now is to view the document in 'File' 'Print Preview' mode.
But drop a page break in if you want to keep on editing the pages as you view.
Mike

"mikeo" wrote:

In View 'Print Layout' - Zoom 'Two Pages' - how do I select the view

so
that
the odd numbered pages are on the right and the even numbered pages

are
on
the left and not the other way round. i.e. view just like a book.

The problem is that your thread got hijacked. Your original question was "In
View 'Print Layout' - Zoom 'Two Pages' - how do I select the view so that
the odd numbered pages are on the right and the even numbered pages are on
the left and not the other way round. i.e. view just like a book." I never
answered that question. Instead "apic" jumped in and asked, "How can I
persuade Print Preview showing Multiple Pages (1x2) to show my document page
layout as it will appear in my book, ie page 2 on the left & page 3 on the
right etc rather than the default of page 1 on the left & page 2 on the
right etc." That's where I got into the act, and I was addressing the
question about Print Preview.

So I think I can be forgiven for not knowing that all the time you were
talking about Print Layout view and not Print Preview!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If I create a three-page document with a large number on each page (1,

2,
3), here's what happens (Word 2003):

1. Go to Print Preview and see a single page.

2. Change the view to 1x2 pages and see 1&2 or 3.

3. Go to Page Setup and choose "Different odd and even."

right,

"mikeo" wrote in message
Found an answer in the search forum that I didn't see before.

Seems to
work.
Haven't tried Suzanne's solution.
Cheers
Mike

Insert a temporary page break before page 1

--
Please respond to the Newsgroup for the benefit of others who may

be