Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "Lost" Word docs

You may have been bitten by Auto Update. If you have Automatic Updates set
to full-automatic, do not ever leave an unsaved document open on the Taskbar
when you leave the machine. If an update is downloaded and installed while
you are away, and Windows has to be restarted in order to complete the
installation, there will be prompts to save open files and close down apps,
but if you are not there to see them, eventually Auto Update will close
everything down without your permission.

Even if you have AU set to notify you when updates are available or ready to
install, it will update the updater itself without asking you and restart
your computer as needed. Many users consider this a bug; whether it's a bug
or not, it is certainly very high-handed. Microsoft's logic is that unless
the updater is updated, you won't be able to be notified of any further
updates. There is a certain logic to this, but most of us believe that it
should still ask permission if you have told it to.

"lindalou" wrote in message
Yes, you don't totally lose the whole document. I never said you did. But
you
can lose some very important stuff. "It" in my sentence referred to the
antecedent "if you have just written something that took a lot of
thought."

And yes, it did shut down without asking if I wanted to save and without
presenting an autorecover option when I started up again.

"lindalou" wrote:

Word is VERY misleading about this. I just had Word close on me--not my
doing. There was no prompting to save any unsaved files. I have now lost
work
I have done. Even if you save work frequently (sometimes every 5 or 10
minutes), if you have just written something that took a lot of thought,
you
can totally lose it.

"If you . . . quit Word without saving, the autosave backup was deleted."
This is plain STUPID!! If you quit word without saving, that is when you
most
need the autosave backup--particularly because Word will just decide to
shut
down out of nowhere.

Why is it that Microsoft, this supposed amazing creator of software,
cannot,
after years and years of customer complaints (1) remedy situations that
people complain of over and over again, (2) write help files that are
actually helpful and are indexed properly, (3) be clear? Aren't
Microsoft
products supposed to be user-friendly? You might ask why I use them,
since I
have all these complaints. The answer is, because they are what most
people
use, and to not use them cuts you out of the loop.

I expect these people will never get it together and put out products
that
are truly user-friendly and intelligible.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

But it was never intended as a substitute for ordinary saving. Here is
the
description of the feature from the Word 2.0 manual:

"If you have Automatic Save selected, Word saves your document for you
at
specific intervals. If there's a power outage or system failure, you
can
retrieve your work from the autosave backup files.

"The first time Word performs an autosave backup, it saves the entire
document. For subsequent backups, Word saves only those parts of the
document that have changed since the last save. The first autosave may
take
a moment, but later backups are fast and hardly noticeable as you work.
Automatic Save dot not take the place of the Save or Save All commands.
These commands completely save and update the versions of a document on
disk
each time you choose them.

"Word creates autosave backup files as necessary. Any time you choose
the
Save command, Word deletes the autosave backup file for the document
you're
saving. Word creates the files again at the next autosave interval for
documents active at that time. If you choose Save All *or quit Word*,
Word
deletes all of the autosave backup files." [Emphasis added.]

This is no different from AutoRecover. If you intentionally closed a
document or quit Word without saving, the autosave backup was deleted.
The
manual goes on to indicate that Word also saves you from losing your
work by
your computer's running out of memory and specifies that "in case of a
power
failure or other trouble with your computer, you can open an autosave
backup
file the next time you start Word." There is no indication that this
was
meant to be a substitute for manual saving or to protect users from
negligence.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote
in
message ...
Hi Beth:

Yeah: Take it away! And bring back the old mechanism that used to
work.

If we must, rename the useless one to "Change logging." Because
that's
what
it does: it logs the changes to a file. But only if the file has
already
been saved :-)

Cheers

On 16/1/07 2:55 PM, in article ,
"Beth
Melton" wrote:

The option was called AutoSave at one point then it was changed to
"Save
AutoRecover information". Do you have a suggestion that could help
make
it
more clear?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ:
http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"roybaylis" wrote in message
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!
To think for years I have been relying on this - to no avail.
Ignorance is NOT (now) bliss!!!
Why don't Microsoft make this clearer?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is no "autosave" in Word. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"roybaylis" wrote in
message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set
to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not
email

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst,
Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you search Word's Help for "AutoRecover" (the name of the feature you
were apparently depending on to save your work), you will find an article
"About document recovery" that explains exactly what Word will and will not
do. It includes this warning: "AutoRecover should not be used as a
substitute for manually saving or backing up your files." I think that's
pretty plain English, not Hindi.

Microsoft is *not* going to change the AutoRecover feature into an AutoSave
feature because that is not its purpose and not what most users would want.
If you want an add-in that *will* automatically save your document at
intervals, see http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

"lindalou" wrote in message
I wish to add that the two replies to my email simply confirm what I said:
Microsoft doesn't see any need to change anything. What Microsoft doesn't
seem to understand is that even if everything the program does works
logically if you follow it to a T, if the average user has problems with
it,
it needs to be improved.

If I spoke to you in flawless Hindi, it wouldn't matter what I said to you
if you didn't understand the language. Microsoft speaks in Hindi and
doesn't
provide a complete dictionary for translation.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Actually in full support of every point Suzanne makes, but in addition...

On 12/25/07 9:57 PM, in article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

you can't "totally" lose a document

Well, yes you _can_ - if the OS or the HD are problematic... In which
case
that's probably what caused Word " to shut down out of nowhere " in the
first place.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cd_tx cd_tx is offline

ughhghgh are you sure there is absolutely NO way to set up auto save to avoid
losing documents due to a power blip or something??

"roybaylis" wrote:

That really helps!!!! but I can't believe I'm the only plonker to fall for
this, am I?
Have a great day.
Roy

"Dan Freeman" wrote:

They think they did make it clear. :-(

Dan

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Willett[_2_] Tom Willett[_2_] is offline

You could wave a magic wand.

"cd_tx" wrote in message
: ughhghgh are you sure there is absolutely NO way to set up auto save to
avoid
: losing documents due to a power blip or something??
:
:
: "Dan Freeman" wrote:
:
: They think they did make it clear. :-(
:
: Dan
:
: ...
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
: There is no "autosave" in Word. See
: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
: so
: all may benefit.
:
: "roybaylis" wrote in message
: ...
: I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set
to 1
: minute.
: Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
: Any ideas?!
: Thanks a million.
: Roy
:
:
:
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can set the AutoRestore interval to as little as every minute, but
you should just get into the habit of hitting Ctrl-S every time you
pause for a moment, and every time you start a new paragraph, and
_certainly_ every time you step away from the computer for a moment.

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, AutoRecover is specifically to prevent against "power blips" and any
other circumstance where Word exits unceremoniously. When you reboot after a
power blip and restart Word, you should be offered an AutoRecovery backup if
one was made. Recent versions of Word also crash much more gracefully,
saving your file in the process. FWIW, I have found that an inexpensive UPS
makes power blips much less traumatic. g

http://word.mvps.org

"roybaylis" wrote in message
I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set
to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jefftee jefftee is offline

yo baylis can.t help you there. hope u sorted by now but does anyone know
how to retrieve 2003 word files after a power cut?
"roybaylis" wrote:

I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1 minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Did you save the files at some point before losing power?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"roybaylis" wrote:

I have recently lost some Word docs, despite having autosave set to 1
minute.
Journal was switched off, so no joy there.
Any ideas?!
Thanks a million.
Roy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no 'autosave' in Word. Only save autorecovery information, which
can be a bit hit or miss and for that 1 minute intervals are too short and
will interfere with writing. I believe the 'save' occurs only when the PC is
idle. If the documents are not recovered when you next open Word after the
recovery of power, unsaved documents are gone. See