Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A.Alisa A.Alisa is offline

Default Embedding a Macromedia Flash inside a Word document

Hi,

Can anyone please assist with the following:

I want to make my document somewhat more interactive and embbed a Macromedia Flash movie in it. What I actually want to do is embbed and HTML tag like the following:

object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="680" height="52" id="MyInteractiveFlash" align="middle"
param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /
param name="movie" id="MyInteractiveFlash.swf" /param name="quality" value="high" /param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /embed src="" id="MyInteractiveFlash.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="680" height="52" name="id="MyInteractiveFlash" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /
/object

Like I would do in an HTML file.

Then I expect the Flash object to be visible in my document (not an Icon or a link button).

Is that possible? how?

Thanks,

Alisa.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob Buckland ?:-\) Bob  Buckland ?:-\) is offline

Hi Alisa,

The 'technique' used to run the flash within Word is sort of an edgy
workaround (i.e. it's not a 'designed in' feature that works
through selecting a .SWF file if you use Insert=Object=From File.

Yes, you can insert it, and have it play but you may have problems with it
and it may only work for you in its original location. (Word
doesn't have a flash player of its own built in)

With your Word document opened and a safety copy of your document saved (in
case things go wrong), the following should work for Word 2000 through 2003.

1. From View=Toolbars turn on the Control Toolbox choice
2. On the Control Toolbox select the 'More Tools' choice
3. Scroll down to the Shockwave Object choice.

4. You'll likely see only a box at this point with a large black 'X'
through it. Check to see that the 'Design mode' icon on the
Control box is highlighted.

5. Right click on the Shockwave object and choose properties.

6. In the 'movie' field paste or type the drive/path and name of the .SWF
file. For example
c:\Flash\goldfish.swf

7. While still in the properties change the 'embed movie' choice to 'true'

8. Close the properties toolbox. You'll still be looking at the 'X'd box
where the SWF file is.

9. Resize the item to the size you want, right click it and choose Format
Control
to set text wrapping, etc then exit back to the document.

10. Use File=Save As and save to a new file name.

11. On the Control Toolbox toolbar click on the 'Exit Design Mode' icon
to turn it off and see if the flash file plays.

You may find that Word will crash when playing or saving the file after the
flash starts playing. You will also be limited in the
'wrap styles' you can use to format the object.

If you move or send the document on to someone else it may depend on what
the macro/addin security settings are in Tools=Options for that person and
the method you're using to open the document that contains the flash object.

An 'object' that is embedded is actually embedding a chunk to the external
app to 'run' the item, rather than a graphic that is
'static' data in the file.

============

--
Please let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
Microsoft Office products MVP

*Courtesy is inexpensive and can pay big dividends*

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
A.Alisa A.Alisa is offline

Thank you Bob,

I've went through the process and the object is embedded into the document, but the movie is not playing :-(.

Any further directions?

Thank you again,