Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CMO CMO is offline

Default Creating web pages using Word 2000

Hi,

I've created an internal web site using MS Word and have been discovering
more and more problems when I save. When I create hyperlinks to documents
and other pages I am not putting in their exact location, rather using
relative links which enables me to move the structure around different
environments without having to change the links each time, eg:

.../FolderName/Filename.Extension

When I save this it automatically reverts to:

...\FolderName\FileName.Extension

Normally this is fine, but I have now incorporated a search engine which
cannot understand the ..\FolderName\FileName.Extension and needs to see
.../FolderName/Filename.Extension in order to search properly.

Is there any way I can stop Word doing this every time I save?

Thanks in advance from someone in crisis!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles W Davis Charles W Davis is offline

CMO. Use the right tool for the job. Word is not the right tool. If you
don't want to spend the dollars, try the free NVU. http://www.nvu.com

"CMO" wrote in message
Hi,

I've created an internal web site using MS Word and have been discovering
more and more problems when I save. When I create hyperlinks to documents
and other pages I am not putting in their exact location, rather using
relative links which enables me to move the structure around different
environments without having to change the links each time, eg:

../FolderName/Filename.Extension

When I save this it automatically reverts to:

..\FolderName\FileName.Extension

Normally this is fine, but I have now incorporated a search engine which
cannot understand the ..\FolderName\FileName.Extension and needs to
see
../FolderName/Filename.Extension in order to search properly.

Is there any way I can stop Word doing this every time I save?

Thanks in advance from someone in crisis!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi CMO,

The flipping of the slashes to backslashes was a bug in Word 2000. The 'fix' for it from MS was Word 2002.

There are, however, 3rd party Web page cleanup utilities that can fix that particular error.
HTML Tidy has a number of features you can use to tweak Word 2000 Web documents, including fixing the backslash bug.
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/Overview.html#word2000

HTMLSlasher was discontinued in 2004 but should still be downloadable. It was created solely for fixing the issue you are seeing
with the backslashes.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP