Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Miss_Chelle Miss_Chelle is offline

Default Section breaks & footers in Word 2007

I set up a footer in my document and all is well. Then I select a couple of
paragraphs and turn them into columns; at that point my document goes from
one section to three and the second one is hidden. This messes up my footers
- the page numbering starts over in the 3rd section and even though I tell it
to link to previous, it doesn't have any effect because I can't tell what's
happening in that second section. I turn on show/hide, but it doesn't help.
I only see the new section numbers when I go into the Header/Footer. I've
tried deleting paragraph marks to see if I can find the section, but no luck.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Changing the number of columns requires inserting section breaks; your
multi-column section is a separate section and, if it is in the middle of
the page, its header and footer, as you have found are inaccessible. You can
insert a temporary page break in the middle of the multi-column section and
access the Format Page Number dialog that way. In older versions of Word,
you can place the insertion point in the section and use Insert | Page
Numbers | Format..., but I'm not sure how you would do this in Word 2007
(the corresponding command seems to be Insert | Header & Footer | Page
Number).

"Miss_Chelle" wrote in message
I set up a footer in my document and all is well. Then I select a couple

of
paragraphs and turn them into columns; at that point my document goes from
one section to three and the second one is hidden. This messes up my

footers
- the page numbering starts over in the 3rd section and even though I tell

it
to link to previous, it doesn't have any effect because I can't tell

what's
happening in that second section. I turn on show/hide, but it doesn't

help.
I only see the new section numbers when I go into the Header/Footer. I've
tried deleting paragraph marks to see if I can find the section, but no

luck.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Miss_Chelle Miss_Chelle is offline

That worked! After inserting a page break, I displayed the Headers and
Footers and could see the 2nd section. Then I went into Page Number | Format
Page Numbering and selected "Continue from Previous Section" (I had to do
that on both sections 2 and 3). After all was done, I removed the page break
and life is good! Thanks SO much!!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad I could help. Note that you probably wouldn't have run into this
problem if you had never set a starting page number, since "Continue from
previous section" is the default setting for a single-section document (one
with no section breaks). When you insert section breaks, they inherit the
formatting already in place.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Changing the number of columns requires inserting section breaks; your
multi-column section is a separate section and, if it is in the middle

of
the page, its header and footer, as you have found are inaccessible. You

can
insert a temporary page break in the middle of the multi-column section

and
access the Format Page Number dialog that way. In older versions of

Word,
you can place the insertion point in the section and use Insert | Page
Numbers | Format..., but I'm not sure how you would do this in Word 2007
(the corresponding command seems to be Insert | Header & Footer | Page
Number).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.