Richard

Default backwards compatability Word 2003

I have Word 2003 on my laptop but when I send any document to a computer that
has 2002 and below they cannot read it. I have tried using the save as type
field in the save as dialogue box to save the doc as Word 2.x for windows
and also word 97-2003 & 6.0/95-rtf and none of these work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Charles Kenyon

Any chance you are saving to a floppy or CDR rather than transmitting
electronically? If so, your problem is not with version differences.

If so, stop. Save your document to your laptop's hard drive, then use
Windows to copy to removable media. On the receiving computer, reverse the
process, copying to the hard drive before opening.

Word 2003 uses the same file format as Word 97.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Richard" wrote in message
I have Word 2003 on my laptop but when I send any document to a computer
that
has 2002 and below they cannot read it. I have tried using the save as
type
field in the save as dialogue box to save the doc as Word 2.x for windows
and also word 97-2003 & 6.0/95-rtf and none of these work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Richard

Charles,
Thankyou for your prompt reply, unfortunately I am definitely sending the
document electronically and not saving to a removable media.
thanks again
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message
I have Word 2003 on my laptop but when I send any document to a computer
that
has 2002 and below they cannot read it. I have tried using the save as
type
field in the save as dialogue box to save the doc as Word 2.x for windows
and also word 97-2003 & 6.0/95-rtf and none of these work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Klaus Linke

Thankyou for your prompt reply, unfortunately I am definitely sending
the document electronically and not saving to a removable media.
thanks again

Hi Richard,

Do you send the files by email? Then probably your mail program is destroying
the files.
Zip them up... That way, the recipient will at least see when the file has been
damaged (since s/he'll get a warning about an invalid checksum on unzipping).

Regards,
Klaus