Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kay Kay is offline

Default How do I insert the caret mark over a letter?

I need to put the caret mark over the e in Renee. How do I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:17:01 -0800, Kay wrote:

I need to put the caret mark over the e in Renee. How do I do that?

You don't want a caret (which is the ^ symbol), you want an acute accent as in
Renée. There are several ways to enter the single character é :

- Hold down the Alt key while you type 0233 on the number pad (with NumLock on).
This works in all Windows programs; the others work only in Word.

- Press the Ctrl key and the apostrophe together, release them, and type the e

- Type the code e9 and then press Alt+X

- Use the Insert Symbol dialog

Read http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...tSpecChars.htm for more.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jan 14, 10:17*pm, Kay wrote:
I need to put the caret mark over the e in Renee. *How do I do that?

You don't. There are no circumflex accents in that name.

You want an acute accent: Ctrl-' (apostrophe) e.

If you ever do need a circumflex accent, it's Ctrl-Shift-6 (caret)
followed by the vowel.

(And, to round out the French accents, Ctrl-` for the grave, Ctrl-
Shift-: (colon) for the dieresis, and Ctrl-, (comma) for the cedilla.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are describing is a circumflex accent, but I can't imagine that
anyone spells Renee with such an accent. Renée (with an acute accent) would
be more likely. You can insert accented letters using Insert | Symbol or by
using the built-in keyboard shortcuts; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm

The shortcut for é is Ctrl+', e
The shortcut for ê (if that's what you really want) is Ctrl+^, e

http://word.mvps.org

"Kay" wrote in message
I need to put the caret mark over the e in Renee. How do I do that?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert the caret mark over a letter?

Hi there! To insert the caret mark over a letter, you can follow these steps:
  1. Open Microsoft Word and type the word "Renee" where you want to insert the caret mark.
  2. Place your cursor where you want to insert the caret mark, in this case, over the letter "e".
  3. Click on the "Insert" tab in the top menu bar.
  4. Click on "Symbol" in the "Symbols" section of the menu.
  5. A drop-down menu will appear. Click on "More Symbols" at the bottom of the menu.
  6. In the "Symbol" window that appears, select "Combining Diacritical Marks" from the "Subset" drop-down menu.
  7. Scroll down until you find the caret mark, which looks like a small upward-pointing arrow. Click on it to select it.
  8. Click on the "Insert" button to insert the caret mark over the letter "e".

That's it! The caret mark should now be inserted over the letter "e" in the word "Renee".