Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hanspnw hanspnw is offline

Default Table won't show up in Xref list

I have a table that doesn't show up in the cross-reference dialog box
(Word 2007). I have tried stripping out and re-applying all formatting
to the caption; deleted and re-inserted the table; deleted and re-
inserted the captions of not only the problematic table, but several
tables before and after it; and confirming that no Track Changes have
automated caption numbering. The table shows up in the List of Tables,
where the numbering is also correct -- it's only in the xref dialog
box that it's missing.

Any ideas?

-Hans
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is strange. If you bookmark the caption manually, and then insert a
cross-reference to the bookmark text, does that work?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanspnw" wrote in message
I have a table that doesn't show up in the cross-reference dialog box
(Word 2007). I have tried stripping out and re-applying all formatting
to the caption; deleted and re-inserted the table; deleted and re-
inserted the captions of not only the problematic table, but several
tables before and after it; and confirming that no Track Changes have
automated caption numbering. The table shows up in the List of Tables,
where the numbering is also correct -- it's only in the xref dialog
box that it's missing.

Any ideas?

-Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hanspnw hanspnw is offline

Hi Stefan,

I tried a workaround that did the trick. The table that wouldn't
appear was Table 4-18. I ended up adding two numbered captions to the
table: Table 4-18 and Table 4-19. Next, I went to add the xref and,
because 4-19 showed up in the list, I chose it. Finally, I deleted the
4-18 caption, and updated all fields. For some reason, this worked,
and the xref displays correctly. However, Table 4-18 *still* does not
appear in the xref dialog box.

This doc is a 2003 doc that I am working on in 2007, so I wonder if
this is some sort of bugginess (is that a word??).

-Hans

"hanspnw" wrote in message

I have a table that doesn't show up in the cross-reference dialog box
(Word 2007). I have tried stripping out and re-applying all formatting
to the caption; deleted and re-inserted the table; deleted and re-
inserted the captions of not only the problematic table, but several
tables before and after it; and confirming that no Track Changes have
automated caption numbering. The table shows up in the List of Tables,
where the numbering is also correct -- it's only in the xref dialog
box that it's missing.

Any ideas?

-Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hmm, thinking about it, I seem to recall that someone has reported a bug with
the cross-reference dialog box before, but I don't remember the exact symptoms.

The alternative is that the document is (mildly) corrupt. Have you tried copying
the contents, except for the final paragraph mark, into a newly created
document?

To show/hide paragraph marks (¶) as well as other nonprinting marks, you can
press Ctrl+Shift+8.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hanspnw" wrote in message

I have a table that doesn't show up in the cross-reference dialog box
(Word 2007). I have tried stripping out and re-applying all formatting
to the caption; deleted and re-inserted the table; deleted and re-
inserted the captions of not only the problematic table, but several
tables before and after it; and confirming that no Track Changes have
automated caption numbering. The table shows up in the List of Tables,
where the numbering is also correct -- it's only in the xref dialog
box that it's missing.

Any ideas?

-Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hanspnw hanspnw is offline

I had viewed the doc's para/non-printing marks and found nothing out
of the ordinary.

It must be a bug...

"hanspnw" wrote in message

I have a table that doesn't show up in the cross-reference dialog box
(Word 2007). I have tried stripping out and re-applying all formatting
to the caption; deleted and re-inserted the table; deleted and re-
inserted the captions of not only the problematic table, but several
tables before and after it; and confirming that no Track Changes have
automated caption numbering. The table shows up in the List of Tables,
where the numbering is also correct -- it's only in the xref dialog
box that it's missing.

Any ideas?

-Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I suspect that your assumption is correct. :-(

Just in case, did you also try copying the contents, which MIGHT fix possible
corruption?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP