Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

Default Problem with inserted images

I never had this problem with .doc files, but now I'm working with docx and
I'm having intermittent problems controlling inserted images.

In one case I copy an image and paste it in-line with text into a new line
(formatting the line to be centered). Then I select the image and click to
give it a border.

The second time I do the exact same thing, but when I select the image,
Borders and Shading is greyed out and I cannot give it a border. Further, I
cannot specify different styles for the image and the text immediately
preceding it. If I change one, the other changes.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In previous versions, if an image is inline, there are two possible borders;
if the image itself is selected, you can apply a border to the image itself;
it you click in the paragraph in which the image sits (the distinction may
not be obvious), you'll be applying a border to the paragraph.

Word 2007 complicates this by adding a Picture Border command to the Picture
Tools | Format tab, which is available only when you have a picture
selected. This is evidently something different from the border added via
the Borders and Shading dialog because you can neither remove it nor change
it through that dialog.

Moreover, in my experiments, sometimes clicking on the picture does not
activate the Picture Tools | Format tab, or rather, it activates it but does
not necessarily bring it forward.

If you remove the "picture border" via the Picture Tools | Format tab, you
can add a border to "Text" in the Borders and Shading dialog (which amounts
to the same thing), but Picture is no longer one of the "Apply to" choices,
since this function has evidently been moved to the Picture Tools | Format
tab.

I'm not sure what all this means in relation to your problem, but could it
be that you are attempting to deal with the border through the wrong
tab/dialog?

http://word.mvps.org