Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
marsha

Default how to number pages differently

I have a paper in Turabian format, with footnotes and bibliography. The
title page has no page number. The first page is numbered at the bottom
center. The body of the paper is numbered at the top right. The
bibliography is numbered at the bottom center. I cannot get Word to allow
me to number the paper the way I need it. It either puts all the numbers at
the top or bottom, but will not allow me to change them, even when I try
section breaks. If I try to do it manually, then all the page numbers
become the same on all the pages. How do I turn off page numbers for one
section of the paper and allow it to do page numbers in the other part of
the paper.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I have had to overcome the same problem. What you need to do is to divide
your document into different SECTIONS. Go to INSERT and then click on
BREAK... instead of inserting a page break, insert a section break. This
allows you to set up the numbering differntly in each section. You can even
choose to continue numbering from one section to the other, OR have each
section begin number anew.

"marsha" wrote:

I have a paper in Turabian format, with footnotes and bibliography. The
title page has no page number. The first page is numbered at the bottom
center. The body of the paper is numbered at the top right. The
bibliography is numbered at the bottom center. I cannot get Word to allow
me to number the paper the way I need it. It either puts all the numbers at
the top or bottom, but will not allow me to change them, even when I try
section breaks. If I try to do it manually, then all the page numbers
become the same on all the pages. How do I turn off page numbers for one
section of the paper and allow it to do page numbers in the other part of
the paper.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
marsha

"
wrote in message ...
I have had to overcome the same problem. What you need to do is to divide
your document into different SECTIONS. Go to INSERT and then click on
BREAK... instead of inserting a page break, insert a section break. This
allows you to set up the numbering differntly in each section. You can

even
choose to continue numbering from one section to the other, OR have each
section begin number anew.

I think you are right that the secret is about inserting section breaks.
When I choose
Insert and Break, I have other choices. Is the correct choice "odd
page"????

Thanks Buffalo!!!