Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Formatting Table of Figures

You should still have used a right-aligned tab with a period leader (instead
of manually inserted periods) for your TOF listings; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/SettingTabs.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Hu" wrote in message

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Hu,

I would have chosen to handle wide pictures by switching the page
orientation to landscape (via inserting section paired breaks). That way
you'd have no containers to deal with, and all captions could be handled
the
same way.

Otherwise, I'd do as Susanne suggests: use a table and rotated type. All
captions could still be handled the same way.

Given that it's done your way, if a TC field could be attached to an
image,
you could combine our two answers. Styles when you have text and TC
fields
when you don't.

PamC

Hu wrote:
The problem I have with both these replies is that for a number of
pictures
there is no "text"--the text is part of the picture and cannot be
selected
apart from the entire picture. The reason I have to do some pictures
this
way is as follows. Some pictures have the long axis horizontal (4-5
people
lined up next to each other. Because the document has the long axis
vertical, I have to rotate the picture 90 degrees so it will display
better.
Were I not to rotate it, the constraints of the paper would "squish" it
too
much in reducing it to fit the page. Since I can't find a way to type
the
label underneath after the picture is rotated and pasted (I can only
add a
white space underneath and as part of the picture and type the label
into the
white space where it becomes a part of the picture). This leaves me
with no
text that can be selected for a style, a caption etc, only a jpeg
picture.

This project is the first time I have ever tried to use Word's formatting
etc features. Because of that I doubt I really understood the replies I
received. The ones I attempted didn't seem to work.

Because the number of pictures was less than a full page, I just went
ahead
and typed a picture ID on a line, used "periods" to take me out to the end
and then typed in page numbers. With a left alignment and then selecting
part of the "periods separators" I then increased or decreased the
character
separation so that the page numbers would be properly right aligned. the
page looks just like a Table of Figures would.

I appreciate the suggestions and only wish I knew more about Word to have
been able to use them. However what I ended up with will print in the
final
product just as a "proper" Table of Figures