Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Julie Julie is offline

Default Table continues on second page

My Table continues onto a second page (and sometimes a third page). I have a
table caption on the first page and would like a different Table caption to
appear on the second and subsequent pages: for example, Table 1, continued.
How can I do this using Word 2007? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

One way to do this is to insert the caption into a heading row (without
borders) and, on the first page, hide the "(continued)" part with a white
graphic.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Julie" wrote in message
My Table continues onto a second page (and sometimes a third page). I have
table caption on the first page and would like a different Table caption
appear on the second and subsequent pages: for example, Table 1,
continued.
How can I do this using Word 2007? Thank you in advance for your
assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Julie Julie is offline

"Julie" wrote:

My Table continues onto a second page (and sometimes a third page). I have a
table caption on the first page and would like a different Table caption to
appear on the second and subsequent pages: for example, Table 1, continued.
How can I do this using Word 2007? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I appreciate your help. That's something I hadn't thought of, but it doesn't quite fix my problem. Some of my tables have a long caption and I wouldn't be able to cover up the text and insert , continued. Other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Unless your caption runs to more than one line, you could use this
technique. Insert a text box with No Line and white fill. Anchor it to a
paragraph in the first table row (not in the heading row itself). Position
it to cover everything but "Table 1" and type your "continued" notice in it.
If the caption runs to more than one line, you'd need a second text box or
shape to cover the entire rest of the caption, but since this would make for
an apparently oversized heading row on subsequent pages, this is not very
satisfactory.

An alternate approach for very long tables is to put them in a separate
section with "Different first page" enabled. Put the caption in the first
row of the table or in the First Page Header, the continued caption in the
Header (which will appear on subsequent pages). Unless you need the caption
to be in a bordered cell that appears to be part of the table, this is
workable. Putting it in a table cell or bordered paragraph can be a little
trickier but can still be managed.