Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Candy Candy is offline

Default Viewing Hidden Codes

How do I view hidden codes, such as html codes, in my documents? Thanks in
advance to whomever answers. It is much appreciated.

Candy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Candy Candy is offline

Finally figured out the answer to at least part of my question. I wanted to
know how to insert "Page x of y" in a header with other items besides the
page numbers in it.

1. Insert
2. Header
3. Choose your design (I wanted a three column blank)
4. Click on the column in which you want to insert the page number codes
5. Type "page "
6. Then click on insert again
7. Click on quick parts
8. Click on field
9. Scroll down, click on page, click OK.
10. Type " of "
11. Then repeat steps 6 through 8.
12. This time insert or click on NumPages.

"Candy" wrote:

How do I view hidden codes, such as html codes, in my documents? Thanks in
advance to whomever answers. It is much appreciated.

Candy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Candy,

Glad you figured it out. FWIW, these codes are not HTML - they're Word fields. You can toggle the display to reveal their coding
with Alt-F9. You can also create such fields manually, by typing Ctrl-F9 to create the field, then typing the appropriate coding
between the field braces. For more information, lookup 'Fields' in Word's help.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Candy" wrote:

How do I view hidden codes, such as html codes, in my documents? Thanks in
advance to whomever answers. It is much appreciated.

Candy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Also, when to click into an empty Header, the Header and Footer Toolbar
should appear. One of the buttons will Insert Page X of Y eliminating the
need for steps 5 to 12.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Candy" wrote:

How do I view hidden codes, such as html codes, in my documents? Thanks
in
advance to whomever answers. It is much appreciated.

Candy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

To save you a few steps, after you insert the initial three column Header,
select the desired location for your page numbering, on the contextual
Header and Footer tools click Page Number/Current Position, and then click
the thumbnail under Page X of Y.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out: