Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rudy Rudy is offline

Default Set the default outlining level display in Word 2007

When I switch to Outline view, the default shows all the lines of the text.

I'd like by default to show only the Level 2 headers.

Or Level 1, 2, and 3.

This used to work in Word 2003, but I can't make it work in Word 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you saying that switching views in a Word session changes the
collapsed/expanded state of headings in Outline view?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rudy" wrote:

When I switch to Outline view, the default shows all the lines of the text.

I'd like by default to show only the Level 2 headers.

Or Level 1, 2, and 3.

This used to work in Word 2003, but I can't make it work in Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could intercept the command with a macro saved in the normal template eg

Sub ViewOutline()
With ActiveWindow
.ActivePane.View.Type = wdOutlineView
.View.ShowHeading 2
End With
End Sub

which will show up to level 2 - change 2 to 3 for levels 1 2 and 3

Rudy wrote:
When I switch to Outline view, the default shows all the lines of the
text.

I'd like by default to show only the Level 2 headers.

Or Level 1, 2, and 3.

This used to work in Word 2003, but I can't make it work in Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Something like that was supposed to be my next suggestion... :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Rudy wrote:
When I switch to Outline view, the default shows all the lines of the
text.

I'd like by default to show only the Level 2 headers.

Or Level 1, 2, and 3.

This used to work in Word 2003, but I can't make it work in Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rudy Rudy is offline

No, once I have set the state of the headings to be collapsed for a document
in a session, the state persists.

But when I close down the session and start up later in, say, Draft mode (my
preferred workign mode), and if I then switch to OUtline view, I always get
the (to my way of thinking) unreasonable default behavior that the view is
uncollapsed until I use the Outlining | Show Level control and set it to,
like Level 2.

It seems like if you are going to Outlining view your expectation would
normally be that the headings are collapsed by default, otherwise why would
you even be looking at an outline view?

And I do think was the default behavior in the old Word.

"Rudy" wrote:

When I switch to Outline view, the default shows all the lines of the text.

I'd like by default to show only the Level 2 headers.

Or Level 1, 2, and 3.

This used to work in Word 2003, but I can't make it work in Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I think the outline display level once was saved with the document, but it
has been several versions... I'm not even sure if it worked in Word 97 (which
is the first version that I used). Did you try Graham's macro?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP