Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RLaurel

Default Envelope Options

When addressing Size 10 envelopes, we find the Auto placement from the top of
the delivery address is not often where we like it for recipients whose
address contains 4 or more lines. (It runs off the bottom or intrudes into
the bar code our postal carrier imprints.) We know how to change it, but
this is a one time occurance. If we are going to send multiple 4 line
addressed envelopes, we must make the setting for each individual envelope
before printing.

I think I know the answer here, but I would like someone who knows to
confirm my fuzzy thinking.

I think the answer is to create a custom envelope with the placement of
print where I need it to be. Then save the custom envelope as a custom
envelope. (Would like to be able to name this or create more than one custom
envelope for something more than just Size 10 envelopes.) I would have my
secretary use this custom template for addressing the recipients whose
addressess are 4 lines in length. Am I correct?

Last question, Is it possible to create more than one custom envelope and
name/label them in the Envelope Options drop down choice list?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You will find some sample size envelope templates (including one with
barcode) on the downloads page of my web site.You cannot add custom
envelopes to the envelope wizard, but you can have as many templates as you
like.

RLaurel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RLaurel

Thank you Graham. Really impressive stuff there on those pages.
Regrettably, none fit my need.

This is official government communication which are being sent in these Size
10 envelopes which require 4 address lines. Graphics are not required and
probably would not appreciated since this is a law enforcement agency. (Many
guys and gals wearing badges and a firearm. Much material is being delivered
to lawyers who are going to grand jury or trial.)

Is there a template editor I can use to create a template? What kind of
code would I write to produce a template to produce a Size 10 envelope with a
4 line delivery address placed where I need it to be?

Roger

RLaurel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

Graham is the envelope expert around here.

However, if you are addressing your envelopes using the envelopes wizard
rather than a template, you can change the location of the address area. It
is set in the Envelope Address style. You'll need to change this style in
each template you use for writing letters or whatever it is you launch the
envelope wizard from.

Make sure that your options are set under Tools Options Edit to prompt
to update style.
Create a new document based on your template.
Insert a new envelope into the document using the wizard with some dummy
text in the address area.
If you have text boundaries displayed, you'll see the boundaries for the
frame that holds the address.
Click on this frame too get the graphics handles to display (the little
boxes in corners and sides).
Use the one on top (center) up to stretch the box up so you'll have enough
room.
In the formatting toolbar click on Envelope Address in the styles drop down.
Press Enter.
A dialog should pop up asking if you want to update the style to the current
setting. You do.
Under the Format menu, display Styles and Formatting (or Styles)

If you have a task pane for Styles and Formatting displayed, right-click on
the style shown under Formatting of selected text and choose modify. If the
Styles dialog box pops up, click on the Modify button.

Check the box on this to Add to Template.

Close your document and when prompted as to whether you want to save changes
to the template, your answer is yes. (You don't want to save the document.)

If you have multiple templates, you can use the Organizer to copy this
revised style from one to others.
See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm#Styles or
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm#Organizer for instructions on
using the Organizer.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"RLaurel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RLaurel

I think is what I need. I feel closer than ever before.

I followed all instructions (clumsly, but I got there) until I need the
Envelope Address in the drop down list in Styles, under the Formatting
toolbar. I don't see Envelope Address but what does appear is many Font
styles designated by function within the section.

I will keep working. Roger

"RLaurel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

If you have the frame selected or text within the frame selected, this style
should be the one that shows before you even touch the toolbar. (You want
the frame selected.)
--

"RLaurel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

The graphics are easily deleted from the templates. Open the template,
select the graphic and press the delete key.
The envelope address size format and location are set by the envelope
address paragraph style and the frame attached. You can move it where you
want and if you must you can fix the height of the frame so that only four
lines of address will fit, however if you put four lines of address in the
frame that's what will print. The frame currently expands to content.
See also http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

Graphic & Envelope Max :) New Users 11 December 9th 05 09:58 AM
Return Address along Left Side of Envelope Jason Roberts Microsoft Word Help 3 May 26th 05 04:48 PM
Envelope printing needs printer options dialog (Word 2003 suggesti DavidHBrown Microsoft Word Help 0 April 13th 05 05:43 AM
Change in envelope options won't stay. sm8000 Microsoft Word Help 6 March 19th 05 12:43 AM
Envelope Size BK New Users 2 December 17th 04 05:02 PM