Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alex St-Pierre

Default How to ignore " in printmerge

I have the following condition:
If ( Mergefield Anything = "test" "it is a test" "It's not a "test"!")
I would like to display: It's not a "test"! but I have a problem because ""
is used as condition in word. How can I ignore "" in the second sentence ?
Thank you.
--
Alex St-Pierre
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Nasty, but you can use a field { QUOTE 34 } to insert the """, e.g.

{ If { Mergefield Anything } = "test" "it is a test" "It's not a "test{
QUOTE 34 }!")

Make sure all the {} are the proper field code braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9, not the ones you can enter directly on the keyboard.

Peter Jamieson
"Alex St-Pierre" wrote in message
I have the following condition:
If ( Mergefield Anything = "test" "it is a test" "It's not a "test"!")
I would like to display: It's not a "test"! but I have a problem because
""
is used as condition in word. How can I ignore "" in the second sentence ?
Thank you.
--
Alex St-Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alex St-Pierre

{ QUOTE 34 } doesn't work well. I know that there is a place in word that you
can click to say that this specific character is not used as operator ??
--
Alex St-Pierre

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Nasty, but you can use a field { QUOTE 34 } to insert the """, e.g.

{ If { Mergefield Anything } = "test" "it is a test" "It's not a "test{
QUOTE 34 }!")

Make sure all the {} are the proper field code braces you can insert using
ctrl-F9, not the ones you can enter directly on the keyboard.

Peter Jamieson
"Alex St-Pierre" wrote in message
I have the following condition:
If ( Mergefield Anything = "test" "it is a test" "It's not a "test"!")
I would like to display: It's not a "test"! but I have a problem because
""
is used as condition in word. How can I ignore "" in the second sentence ?
Thank you.
--
Alex St-Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

{ QUOTE 34 } doesn't work well.

A pity. What goes wrong with it?

I know that there is a place in word that you
can click to say that this specific character is not used as operator ??

I do not think that there is, but if you can remember please let us know.

There are one or two things you can change to do with quotes in Word but I
do not think any of them will help in this situation, e.g.
a. you can stop Word from using "Smart quotes" in AutoFormat/Autoformat as
you type. (Not relevant here)
b. there is a compatibility setting (see the Tools menu) to do with the
handling of \" in data sources, but I do not think it is relevant and I have
never been able to work out what it actually does