rbc

Default Format Pages to Print a Book

How can I format a document (A4 Size Paper) to print out as a book, using 2
columns per page and both sides of each page in landscape, i.e. a continuous
book format, with the pages numbered accordingly? [First sheet would have Pg
1, Pg 2 & Pg 39 & Pg 40 - Pg 40 being the last page.]
If this won't work, is there another way to "print" a document in book form
with pages &/or headings?
--
Regards
rbc
Mary Sauer

Create a folded booklet
Print a folded booklet

A training course to help with headers and footers
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC010216611033

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"rbc" wrote in message
How can I format a document (A4 Size Paper) to print out as a book, using 2
columns per page and both sides of each page in landscape, i.e. a continuous
book format, with the pages numbered accordingly? [First sheet would have Pg
1, Pg 2 & Pg 39 & Pg 40 - Pg 40 being the last page.]
If this won't work, is there another way to "print" a document in book form
with pages &/or headings?
--
Regards
rbc

rbc

Hi again Mary & Suzzane,
Just to let you know, I have been to all the sites you suggested and found
the info very helpful. Thanks again! We are lucky to have people like you
to assist people like me who usually refer to "Idiot's Guide To....".
One more Q....
If my book develops into a larger project - i.e. several hundred pages... do
I continue with Word or Publisher ((I have ver 2003 of MS Office); or is it
best to obtain another software package for the task of printing out my new
book? If so, can you suggest a software package for the job? I don't wont
to engage a commercial printer at this point in time.
I have read some "threads"(?) on this site where the discussion centres
around the use of Word &/or PUblisher, but I found them to be argumentative,
rather than informative (sorry no disrespect intended from myself as a
beginner.) I would like to avoid such a debate, just need some practical
advice to get up and running with my book.
--
Regards
rbc

"rbc" wrote in message
How can I format a document (A4 Size Paper) to print out as a book, using

2
columns per page and both sides of each page in landscape, i.e. a

continuous
book format, with the pages numbered accordingly? [First sheet would have

Pg
1, Pg 2 & Pg 39 & Pg 40 - Pg 40 being the last page.]
If this won't work, is there another way to "print" a document in book

form
with pages &/or headings?
--
Regards
rbc

I haven't used Publisher to create a book, so I cannot very well speak for
it, but my impression is that Publisher would be easier in some ways for a
book that includes a lot of graphics, especially if you want to be able to
have full-page graphics with text wrapping around them (that is, flowing
from the page before the graphic to the page after). Word cannot do this
without fudging.

On the other hand, Word is much better adapted to do tables of contents,
footnotes/endnotes, and indexes, none of which Publisher can do at all. And
Word can swallow long documents with ease (some users have created documents
of 10,000 pages or more). Moreover, navigation in Publisher becomes very
painful as pages multiply (once there are more pages than can be displayed
on the tabs at the bottom of the screen).

If you have a book that requires both scholarly apparatus (TOC, notes,
index) *and* graphics, it may be worth your while to acquire and learn
software designed for publications (PageMaker, QuarkXpress, Adobe InDesign,
or the like), but for the price of any of these programs (if this is a
one-time project), you might do better to turn your manuscript over to
someone who already has and knows how to use the software.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"rbc" wrote in message
How can I format a document (A4 Size Paper) to print out as a book,

using
2
columns per page and both sides of each page in landscape, i.e. a

continuous
book format, with the pages numbered accordingly? [First sheet would

have
Pg
1, Pg 2 & Pg 39 & Pg 40 - Pg 40 being the last page.]
If this won't work, is there another way to "print" a document in book

form
with pages &/or headings?
--
Regards
rbc

rbc

Okay I will go with Word for now. Thanks again. I have posted similar Qs to
the Publisher Discussion Group, but reading other threads there I can see
the problems you mention emerging for others.
I will be inserting some small photos in the document, but the draft I have
done of the first few chapters in Word had no problem with this.
Thanks again.
--
Regards
rbc