mc510

Default Custom label setup -- bug or user error?

Having an odd problem setting up a custom label in Word 2002. My labels are
3 inches tall, with 1 inch "wasted" space between each (vertically). So I
set Vertical Pitch at 4", and Label Height at 3". But Word seems to be
ignoring the Vertical Pitch, and it gives me a layout for 3" tall labels
stacked immediately on top of each other, without accounting for the 1"
vertical buffer between the labels.

Am I doing something wrong?
Doug Robbins

If you started with an existing label and modified it, those setting would
probably work. However, labels are really just tables with fixed cell
dimensions, so what you really need is a table with alternate rows of 3" and
1". Or you can just use a table with 4" rows as long as you don't use more
than the first 3" of each row.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"mc510" wrote in message
Having an odd problem setting up a custom label in Word 2002. My labels
are
3 inches tall, with 1 inch "wasted" space between each (vertically). So I
set Vertical Pitch at 4", and Label Height at 3". But Word seems to be
ignoring the Vertical Pitch, and it gives me a layout for 3" tall labels
stacked immediately on top of each other, without accounting for the 1"
vertical buffer between the labels.

Am I doing something wrong?

mc510

Yeah, I could do a workaround by simply making 4 inch tall labels and trying
to not print in the wrong part ... but I'm puzzled as to why the Vertical
Pitch setting doesn't seem to work. I mean, why does Word give you the
opportunity to enter Pitch if it's just going to ignore it? Does it work for
anyone else?

Anne Troy

Aside from setting up a table that has first a 3-inch row and then a 1-inch
row and another 3-inch row, and so on...I doubt you'll get much better
feedback than you've gotten already (some pretty heavy-hitters answered your
question).
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"mc510" wrote in message
Yeah, I could do a workaround by simply making 4 inch tall labels and

trying
to not print in the wrong part ... but I'm puzzled as to why the Vertical
Pitch setting doesn't seem to work. I mean, why does Word give you the
opportunity to enter Pitch if it's just going to ignore it? Does it work

for
anyone else?

FWIW, I just tried this. It's obviously a very limited test, but I started
with Avery 5164 (Shipping), which has labels 3.33" high and 4" wide. This
particular label has a horizontal pitch of 4.19", so it already has a
"gutter" column in the middle, but the vertical pitch is 3.33", so there are
no spacer rows. I created a new custom label based on this one and set the
label size to 3" high and 3.5" wide. Word not only increased the center
column but added 0.33" high spacer rows between the label rows. So
apparently this does sometimes work.

"mc510" wrote in message
Yeah, I could do a workaround by simply making 4 inch tall labels and

trying
to not print in the wrong part ... but I'm puzzled as to why the Vertical
Pitch setting doesn't seem to work. I mean, why does Word give you the
opportunity to enter Pitch if it's just going to ignore it? Does it work

for
anyone else?

Doug Robbins

Not just sometimes. IF you start with an existing label and modify it, even
one that does not contain a dummy row, and the increase the vertical pitch
to a figure greater that the height of the label, a dummy row will be
inserted to produce a sheet of labels with that pitch spacing.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, I just tried this. It's obviously a very limited test, but I started
with Avery 5164 (Shipping), which has labels 3.33" high and 4" wide. This
particular label has a horizontal pitch of 4.19", so it already has a
"gutter" column in the middle, but the vertical pitch is 3.33", so there
are
no spacer rows. I created a new custom label based on this one and set the
label size to 3" high and 3.5" wide. Word not only increased the center
column but added 0.33" high spacer rows between the label rows. So
apparently this does sometimes work.

so
all may benefit.

"mc510" wrote in message
Yeah, I could do a workaround by simply making 4 inch tall labels and

trying
to not print in the wrong part ... but I'm puzzled as to why the Vertical
Pitch setting doesn't seem to work. I mean, why does Word give you the
opportunity to enter Pitch if it's just going to ignore it? Does it work

for
anyone else?

mc510

Doug & Suzanne, thanks much ... I'll try modifying an existing template
rather than creating a new one; sounds like that's the solution to my problem.