Geoff Barrett

Default changing font size and color

I am trying to permanently change the size and color of the font. I can do
it for one time choice but doesn't seem to want to stay as a permanent
change. What am I doing wrong ?
CyberTaz

If you are simply changing the font formatting in a document, that is the
only one that will be affected. In order to change the default font go to
FormatFont & make the settings you wish. Then click the Default button
(lower left corner of the dialog box) and confirm Yes to the prompt. Any new
docs you create will have those specs, but any previously created docs will
not be changed.

HTH |:)

"Geoff Barrett" wrote:

I am trying to permanently change the size and color of the font. I can do
it for one time choice but doesn't seem to want to stay as a permanent
change. What am I doing wrong ?

Graham Mayor

You will of course have to ensure that the changes are written to
normal.dot. Ensure tools options save prompt to save normal.dot is
checked and agree to save it when prompted on exit from Word (or SHIFT+File
Save All to force a save)

"Geoff Barrett" wrote:

I am trying to permanently change the size and color of the font. I
can do it for one time choice but doesn't seem to want to stay as a
permanent change. What am I doing wrong ?

CyberTaz

Hi Graham-

Thanks for the follow-up to my post. I didn't mention that only because in
XP and '03 that is no longer the case. Even without the check in place these
versions update normal.dot when you click OK in the confirmation box that
appears after clicking the Default button. (I'm not sure, but I thought 2000
did the same.)

It also does not matter whether you save the currently open file. The
default font change goes into effect either way.

Best Regards :)

"Geoff Barrett" wrote:

I am trying to permanently change the size and color of the font. I
can do it for one time choice but doesn't seem to want to stay as a
permanent change. What am I doing wrong ?

Graham Mayor

There is no evidence of that happening here. If you change the default font,
you get a prompt to save normal.dot (which is where the change is made) when
you close Word in order to write that change to normal.dot. I certainly
wouldn't welcome Word making any changes to normal.dot without my express
permission.

"Geoff Barrett" wrote:

I am trying to permanently change the size and color of the font.
I can do it for one time choice but doesn't seem to want to stay
as a permanent change. What am I doing wrong ?

I believe that changes made to Normal.dot (including the default font)
persist during the Word session (which would agree with what CyberTaz
wrote). If you don't save them when you quit Word, then they are not saved
permanently. But of course, barring interference from Acrobat 7 or the like,
if you don't have "Prompt to update Normal template" enabled, then changes
will be saved tacitly.

"Geoff Barrett" wrote:

I am trying to permanently change the size and color of the font.
I can do it for one time choice but doesn't seem to want to stay
as a permanent change. What am I doing wrong ?

CyberTaz

Hello Graham & Suzanne-

I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse here, and my intention is not to
challenge anyone, but I would like to better understand this issue.

Before submitting my original reply I did exactly the same thing in Word '02
& '03 with the same results. (I typically test before posting).

What I did was:

With a new blank document open-

1) In ToolsOptions I made certain that there was _no_ check to prompt for
saving normal.dot,

2) I then went to FormatFont & changed to another font, clicked [Default],
& clicked Yes to the prompt to change normal.dot

3) I then Exited from Word without any prompt to save changes to normal.dot
and clicked No to saving the open document.

4) When I launched Word again (is this not a different 'session'?), the
newly specified font was set as the default. (Does this not indicate a
'permanent' change?)

5) I just did exactly the same thing here at home where I run Office 2000 in
WinXP Pro under VPC7 on my Mac, with exactly the same results.

According to my interpretation of your postings this should not be the case:

Suzanne- persist during the Word session & If you don't save them when
you quit Word, then they are not saved permanently.

Graham- There is no evidence of that happening here. & the original
questioner did ask for 'permanently'

Please help me understand why my original post was not adequate to answer
the question? What am I missing in the subsequent posts? I certainly don't
want to misinform anyone in any way.

Thanks for your indulgence |:)

On 3/26/05 10:44 AM, in article ,
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

That's my understanding also - the original questioner did ask for
'permanently'

Graham Mayor

Now we are all getting confused

There was nothing wrong with your original response, but for the necessity
to ensure that the changes to the default are actually saved in normal.dot.
The circumstances whereby normal.dot changes are saved are twofold:

1. If tools options prompt to save normal.dot is *unchecked* then
normal.dot is saved automatically on exit. Most people do not have this
option set, because it is a good plan to decide for yourself whether to
allow such changes.
2. If the above option is *checked* then changes are not automatically
saved, but may be saved at the prompt to save.

I know of no other circumstances, not caused by a fault condition, that
would cause changes to normal.dot to be saved automatically.

If the changes are not saved to normal.dot then they are active only for the
current session. However, it is possible to set Word to be the e-mail editor
of Outlook and closing Word does not necessaily close it completely if it is
the Outlook editor *and* has been used to edit a message from Outlook *and*
Outlook remains open. You can see this if you press CTRL+ALT+DEL and check
the running processes, for winword.exe would still be list.

Under such circumstances you could close Word directly and you would get no
prompt to save normal.dot and you could re-open Word and the default would
still be as you had set it, because Outlook is holding normal.dot open
throughout. You would thus only get a prompt to save normal.dot if you
closed *both* Word *and* Outlook. If you then reject the option to save
normal.dot the original setting is reverted to.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

That's my understanding also - the original questioner did ask for
'permanently'

CyberTaz

Hi Graham-

Thanks for taking the time to clarify! I appreciate your prompt and thorough
response.

I understand and agree with the point you make re exercising 'control' over
saving changes to normal.dot, especially for intermediate to advanced users.
I believe that is the 'missing link' I wasn't picking up on earlier in the
thread.

As a sidebar to the discussion: I have found that since the prompt to save
appears as the change is being made even when the option is set as you
suggest, it leads to confusion for less experienced users. They have already
said Yes to saving _that_ change, and when they Exit and are prompted again
they are afraid to say Yes for fear of saving something else by accident. It
isn't clear that the prompt pertains to their default font change. Ergo,
they say No at the final prompt and their intended change is discarded, as
you point out.

IMHO it would be helpful if there were separate prompts generated for
changes that are to be saved in normal.dot triggered by how the prompt in
the Save Options is set. If unchecked, "Changes will be saved..." & if
checked, "Changes will be in effect for session only, permanent change must
be saved on Exit...". Does this seem reasonable?

Best Regards |:)

On 3/26/05 12:20 PM, in article ,
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

I hadn't thought about the scenario you describe, but I think it is accurate
and agree with your suggestion. What we've actually requested for a future
version of Word that would be even more helpful would be a sort of Undo list
for the prompt to save Normal.dot, that is, a list of the changes that will
be saved if you say yes. When I leave Word running all day, I often forget
whether I've actually made changes I want to keep or not (a lot of times
I'll add a toolbar button and then remove it again while testing something
to answer a user's question--no net change, but Word doesn't treat it that
way). Not to mention the bug that makes Word keep prompting you to save
Normal.dot for days after the time changes in the fall and spring; it will
not quit until you finally give in!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

Graham Mayor

In the meantime, you might force a save of normal.dot (from SHIFT+File+Save
all or from the save button in the vba editor) when you make changes you
want to keep and when quitting Word always answer 'no' to the prompt

, "Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Just hit ESC to cancel when the Save As dialog pops up. Everything else
still saves. (I replaced my Save icon with Save All long ago, so often get
this).

DM

On 3/27/05 6:39 AM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The problem with using Save All is that I assume it saves all open
documents? Since I always keep Document1 open as a scratchpad and don't want
to save it, this would cause problems for me.

CyberTaz

Hi Suzanne-

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

The list idea (maybe as checkboxes) is great, although I can understand
where there may be some coding issues. But even if one _did not_ have to say
Yes a 2nd time to saving a change they had *already* said Yes to saving
(perhaps hours before), it would be helpful.

Best Regards |:)