Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Default Help with frames and image captios

I'm using Word 2002 in Windows XP and this concerns a Word document (not a
website).
In this document I use frames to accurately position illustrations and their
captions.
My question concerns 2 such instances where I cannot figure out why the
behavior is different.

In both cases - within the same document - I first created a frame into
which I inserted an image and then after selecting the image added a caption
(Insert/reference/caption). In both cases the image and the caption are
within their respective frames with the caption below the image, but, in one
case the caption is in a textbox (its borders appear when I select the
caption) while in then other there does not seem to be a text box (no border
that I can see when I select it).

I cannot understand the different behavior and how I can select for myself
which one to use or if it matters.

Any suggestions or help?

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Hi Suzanne

I believe I did the identical things in both.

I've uploaded a version of the doc to
www.orthohelp.com/upload/2 frames.doc
(You'll have to copy and paste that url)

You will notice that if you click on the caption text in Figure 2 no text
box appears, but if you click on the caption on Figure 3 a text box appears.
Both are within frames (marked by red borders for this example).

Jeff

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Although the two images look identical, the first one is In Line With Text
and the second one is In Front of Text (which it shouldn't be). If you had
changed the wrapping to inline before inserting the caption, you wouldn't
have gotten a text box.

Note that there are two paragraph marks in the first frame, one for the
image and one for the caption. The only paragraph in the second frame is the
one behind the image, to which both the image and the caption are anchored.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

How do I correct things? When I look at the "properties" of the two frames,
I now see that the first one has text wrapping option "around" selected
while the second has the text wrapping option "none" selected. None of
these are "In Line With Text" or "In Front of Text", so I am confused.

If I click on the properties of the text box in Fig 3, the option for "Word
wrap text in Autoshape" is selected, but removing it does not eliminate the
text box. (I cannot look at properties on the caption of Fig 2 to compare
because no box appears).

I am not sure what to do about the paragraph marks you mention.

So bottom line: are you saying I did something wrong when created Fig 3 and
how do I correct the problem and avoid it in the future (there are many more
figures to go)?

Sorry for being so obtuse.

Jeff

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The wrapping on the frame is not the issue; the issue is the wrapping on the
image inside the frame. When you select the image, the Picture toolbar is
displayed. On that toolbar, click on the Text Wrapping button (dog image)
and change the wrapping from In Front of Text to Behind Text. Then when you
insert a caption, it will be inline instead of in a text box.

To correct the current situation:

1. Change the wrapping on the image to In Line With Text, which will put it
in the text paragraph instead of in front of it (this will be much easier to
see if you have nonprinting characters displayed; displaying text boundaries
is a big help as well).

2. Drag the text box out of the frame.

3. Press Enter between the image and the paragraph mark to insert a new text
paragraph in the frame.

4. Drag (or Cut/Paste) the content of the text box into that paragraph.

5. Delete the text box.

6. Resize the frame to Auto height.

A certain amount of cleanup will be required, as you'll end up with an empty
paragraph that can't be deleted without changing the formatting of your
caption, which has some existing problems, anyway. It might be easier just
to delete the text box and recreate the caption.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
No Name

You are just wonderful - as usual. Thank you so much.

Also for the hint about "Auto" height.

Jeff