Daniel Louwrens

Default Doc size

Hi,

I have word 2002 on my PC at home and have a document that is 85 meg, it is
just text, I have no problems with working with it at home but on my laptop
it just freezes the system when I try to open it., I have Word 2000 on my
Laptop.

Is there some way I can reduce the size of the file or automatically split
it into smaller files, that I can use individually on my Laptop?

thanks

Daniel

Chuck Davis

I have word 2002 on my PC at home and have a document that

is 85 meg, it is
just text, I have no problems with working with it at home

but on my laptop
it just freezes the system when I try to open it., I have

Word 2000 on my
Laptop.

Is there some way I can reduce the size of the file or

automatically split
it into smaller files, that I can use individually on my

Laptop?

thanks

Daniel

.

Open the document. Choose Save as from the File drop down
menu and give it a name to indicate a portion. Select and
delete half of the document. Close. Open the original
document, Save as and name it accordingly. Select and
delete the other half. Cross reference items, tables of
content, etc. will be lost or rendered useless.

Chuck Davis

I'm surprised you can even open it since the file size

limit for Word
documents is still (AFAIK) 32 MB for text only (not

counting graphics).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Daniel Louwrens"

wrote in message
Hi,

I have word 2002 on my PC at home and have a document

that is 85 meg, it
is
just text, I have no problems with working with it at

home but on my
laptop
it just freezes the system when I try to open it., I

have Word 2000 on my
Laptop.

Is there some way I can reduce the size of the file or

automatically split
it into smaller files, that I can use individually on my

Laptop?

thanks

Daniel

.

I have a book that is 912 pages and is only 4.1MB.
http://www.moderncabinetmaking.com

Daniel Louwrens

The file was a "print to file" from a
UNIX mainframe and saved as a .txt file then
as a .doc, so I guess there is a lot of unnecessary formatting code, the
file is still 11 meg when it is
zipped up, so it is not a matter of open spaces,
is there a possibility that I can fix that by
resaving with another protocol?

Daniel

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have a document that is 270 pages, with hundreds of tables and (linked)
photos and a huge index, and it is only 3.66 MB. Another document that is
584 pages (with index) and 1.81 MB.

so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
Hi,

I have word 2002 on my PC at home and have a document

that is 85 meg, it
is
just text, I have no problems with working with it at

home but on my
laptop
it just freezes the system when I try to open it., I

have Word 2000 on my
Laptop.

Is there some way I can reduce the size of the file or

automatically split
it into smaller files, that I can use individually on my

Laptop?

thanks

Daniel

.

I have a book that is 912 pages and is only 4.1MB.
http://www.moderncabinetmaking.com

Ah, that would be a horse of a different color! You might want to post in
word.printing.fonts, where someone might be able to come up with a better
suggestion.

"Daniel Louwrens" wrote in message
The file was a "print to file" from a
UNIX mainframe and saved as a .txt file then
as a .doc, so I guess there is a lot of unnecessary formatting code, the
file is still 11 meg when it is
zipped up, so it is not a matter of open spaces,
is there a possibility that I can fix that by
resaving with another protocol?

Daniel

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have a document that is 270 pages, with hundreds of tables and (linked)
photos and a huge index, and it is only 3.66 MB. Another document that

is
584 pages (with index) and 1.81 MB.

newsgroup
so