Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Antoine Hauck[_2_] Antoine Hauck[_2_] is offline

Default Unique document ID in Word?

Hello

I just wanted to ask if word 2003 embeds a unique document ID to each
created document? An ID like a GUID, not just filename and path.

I already added programatically a CustomProperty (which contains a GUID) in
an existing document. But I think that there is a internal document ID
already present in the document and if this is the case, how can I use this
ID?

You can "prove" that maybe an internal ID (for me it was Word 2003) is
available in a document, when you insert in a document "A.doc" a reference
(under Insert - Object - From File) to another doc file "L.doc" (select the
checkbox "link to file").
The content of the linked document "L.doc" will be displayed in your actual
document "A.doc". Now move (not copy) the linked document (L.doc) to a new
location on your local file system (can be another drive letter, but it
cannot be a network share). Change the content inside the linked document
"L.doc" (to something, so that you can recognize the change).
Open your "A.doc" document and you can see the content of the linked
document is also changed. You can see under Edit - Links that the entry to
the "L.doc" also changed to the new file location.

But how did word realize that the location of the linked document changed?
Does every document has an internal ID, which is indexed in a small database
(which also contains the file location)? Or is this something NTFS file
system specific? Maybe a special event is triggered when you move a file, and
Word is notified about the change.

Thanks in advance for your help

Antoine Hauck