katiexword

Default merged docs all one page?

I'm switching from wordperfect to msword and am running into a few problems.
unlike wordperfect, when I merge a form letter the merged document is all one
page (each "page" is a new section). this creates havoc if, for instance,
it's a two-page letter and the first page needs to go on letterhead. I can't
"print even pages" or even a selection because it's all one page. how does
one deal with this? thanks!

In the mail merge main document, you can select the appropriate paper trays
for the first page and any subsequent pages. When you merge the document,
each section will draw from the appropriate trays. If you have only one tray
available, you should be able to print "page 1" to print the first page of
every section on letterhead, then "page 2-" to print any remaining pages on
second sheets. I haven't tested this, but that's the way it *should* work!

"katiexword" wrote in message
I'm switching from wordperfect to msword and am running into a few

problems.
unlike wordperfect, when I merge a form letter the merged document is all

one
page (each "page" is a new section). this creates havoc if, for instance,
it's a two-page letter and the first page needs to go on letterhead. I

can't
"print even pages" or even a selection because it's all one page. how does
one deal with this? thanks!

katiexword

Thanks, Suzanne. That is how it *should* work but, alas, "print page 1" only
prints the *first* page 1. For now, because I'm working with a two-page
letter, I'm using the "print odd pages" option. Not sure what I'll do for a
three-page letter...I guess I'd just have to do it as two separate docs.

And for one-page merged documents, I'll have to remember not to use "print
page 1" to test to see how it fits on the letterhead because that prints the
entire document (which in the case of one I did Monday was 78 pages of "page
1"--I managed to get the printerturned off by about the 20th page).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Word really isn't very smart about page numbering, is it? I'm sure some
clever VBA coder could come up with a simple macro to print page 1 of each
section, but it seems to me that this would be a useful feature for MS to
include in the software.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In the mail merge main document, you can select the appropriate paper

trays
for the first page and any subsequent pages. When you merge the

document,
each section will draw from the appropriate trays. If you have only one

tray
available, you should be able to print "page 1" to print the first page

of
every section on letterhead, then "page 2-" to print any remaining pages

on
second sheets. I haven't tested this, but that's the way it *should*

work!

newsgroup so
all may benefit.