Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Renishug Renishug is offline

Default Viewing position changing behind my back

Word 2003. I have two documents open in Print Layout. I do not have the
'Windows in Taskbar' option selected. Each document is maximised displayed as
'Page Width'. I look at one document, then I swap to looking at the other
document, then I come back to the first document, but what is displayed has
shifted away from where I left it - it is now at the top of the page that I
was looking at. This is somewhat annoying. How can I stop Word doing this
repositioning behind my back? (I know the workaround options of 'use Nomal
layout' and 'don't use Page Width'; but I like the usual way that I view
documents.) Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The problem is with the Page Width setting. For some reason, Word interprets
that as a prime directive, and it insists on reapplying it each time you
switch back to that document, for fear that the window width changed since
you last left it gasp.

Does Page Width usually result in the same (or nearly the same) zoom level
for you each time? If so, a work-around would be to set the zoom to that
level rather than using Page Width. For example, if I choose Page Width in a
document in Word 2003 at the moment, the resulting zoom is 151%. If I
follow your instructions, I get what you get. If I click in the zoom tool
and press Enter to "lock in" the 151%, however, I now get the behavior you
would like.

So... if there is a target percentage that usually gets you the view you
want, you could either click to lock it in, or you could use a macro to set
it. This macro could reside on the toolbar next to the Zoom dropdown (for
example) so it would be perhaps even a little easier to use than choosing
Page Width. Moreover, Word usually remembers the zoom setting, so, you
probably wouldn't need to use such a tool all that often.

If your target zoom were 151, this macro would do the trick:

Sub SetZoom()
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = 150
End Sub

Heck... you could even put the main line into AutoOpen and AutoNew macros so
that Word would automatically zoom you to that level when a document is
opened or created.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible