Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
daphnemcojoe daphnemcojoe is offline

Default automatic scrolling

When I am typing my page is not advancing upward so that my typing can always
be seen. I have to manually move the page up using the mouse. Can someone
tell me how to correct that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I've seen this complaint at regular intervals over all the years I've been
reading these newsgroups, and I've never seen a solution proposed that was
acknowledged to work. I'd love to know the answer myself, as I have the same
problem. I've gotten to be pretty good at just continuing typing, even
though I can see only the top half of the letters. When the line wraps, Word
seems to wake up and advance the page several more lines for better
visibility.

I'm not sure whether the problem is confined to specific versions of Word
(I've experienced it in some but not others) or specific screen resolution
or video cards/drivers or what, but it is clear that some users have the
problem and some (presumably most) don't. Those who don't have no motivation
(or ability) to help, and those who do don't seem to have come up with a
solution.

"daphnemcojoe" wrote in message
When I am typing my page is not advancing upward so that my typing can

always
be seen. I have to manually move the page up using the mouse. Can

someone
tell me how to correct that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm convinced that this is a display driver issue. Over the years, I've had
some computers that exhibit the problem, and others that don't. In
particular, I seem to run into this issue on desktop computers, and not on
my notebook/laptop computers.

My own "solution" to this was to assign (long ago) keyboard equivalents for
scrolling up/down with the mouse, so I don't need to fidget with the mouse
to keep on typing. The two simple macros I use a

Sub ScrollUp()
'Assign to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.SmallScroll Down:=-1
End Sub

Sub ScrollDown()
'Assign to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Down
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.SmallScroll Down:=1
End Sub

Thus assigned, when I press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Down, the screen gets nudged up 1
line, and the insertion point stays put. Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up does the reverse.
Over the years, these assignments have become engrained, so I don't even
have to think about it when I need to nudge the viewing area up or down.
They come in handy for reasons in addition to occasional display driver
recalcitrance, particularly when PageUp/Down are overkill, and I really
don't want to have to reach across the desk to use the mouse.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

"daphnemcojoe" wrote in message
When I am typing my page is not advancing upward so that my typing can

always
be seen. I have to manually move the page up using the mouse. Can

someone
tell me how to correct that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think your assessment is correct, and I'm sure it seems to show up more in
Word than any other app because that's the one I do the most typing in. The
shortcuts sound like a good idea, but I have small hands, so reaching the
arrow keys is a crap shoot for me.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"daphnemcojoe" wrote in message
When I am typing my page is not advancing upward so that my typing can

always
be seen. I have to manually move the page up using the mouse. Can

someone
tell me how to correct that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I tend to like the arrow keys because they're intuitively logical for me.
However... as you know, you can assign [just about] anything to [just about]
any key that's convenient for you.

--
[...]

"daphnemcojoe" wrote in
message