Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mirajude

Default Optional hyphen

I have a specific hyphenation issue in Word 2003 and haven't been able to
find the answer in the other threads here. Hopefully someone will be able to
help me!

I have auto-hyphenation on. I need to have a word hyphenate at a specific
point. My client doesn't like words to hyphenate after the first syllable if
that syllable is only 2 letters, for example they don't like "in-vestment"
but are OK with "invest-ment." I tried using an optional hyphen after "vest"
but if the word had already hyphenated after the first syllable, the optional
hyphen had no affect.

An optional hyphen before the word, as well as one where I want the word to
break, worked but I ran into a bug with this. If the first optional hyphen
happened to end up being the last character on a line, it printed. Bad!

I also tried using ToolsLanguageSet LanguageDo not check spelling or
grammar along with an optional hyphen at the point I wanted the break, but
that didn't do it either.

I should also say that I tried these fixes with a variety of fonts, and with
both left-aligned and justified text, so I don't think my problem is related
to one of those things.

Right now, my best option is to suppress hyphenation of that word
altogether, but it's not an ideal solution. Are there any other options?

Thanks!