Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lori Lori is offline

Default selection print

I'm using Word 2000. How do I print a section of a word doc (line in a
table) and also capture the heading of the document? I tried putting the
heading in a "header", but the header won't print when I select a section -
only the selection. In excel, it's great that you can pick 'rows to repeat'.
I'm looking for that type of function in word. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word, as you print the selection, you only get what is explicitly
selected. I don't think there is a way around this.

Note that recent versions of Word allows you to select non-contiguous pieces
of text, but I haven't tested if they can also be printed.

This KB article might be of interest:

WD2000: Selecting Non-Contiguous Text and Graphics by Using the Spike
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211675/en-us

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lori" wrote:

I'm using Word 2000. How do I print a section of a word doc (line in a
table) and also capture the heading of the document? I tried putting the
heading in a "header", but the header won't print when I select a section -
only the selection. In excel, it's great that you can pick 'rows to repeat'.
I'm looking for that type of function in word. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

As Stefan wrote there is no provision for this although there are a few
workarounds. Unfortunately the "non-contiguous" selection of content isn't
one of them - at least not in any version of Word I've attempted it. The
"Selection" option in the Print dialog isn't available if the selected
passage isn't consecutive lines

Easiest of all [in most cases] is simply to copy the heading & the passage
to a new doc, then print that especially if it's a one-time need.

You can also format the intervening text as Hidden, select the content to be
printed, then print Selection.

Depending on the structure of the doc you may also be able to print what you
want by using Outline View & collapsing segments.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/21/07 3:53 PM, in article
, "Lori"
wrote:

I'm using Word 2000. How do I print a section of a word doc (line in a
table) and also capture the heading of the document? I tried putting the
heading in a "header", but the header won't print when I select a section -
only the selection. In excel, it's great that you can pick 'rows to repeat'.
I'm looking for that type of function in word. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nanny G[_2_] Nanny G[_2_] is offline

Do you know, after highlighting two columns on a table, why I am not allowed
to print "selection" in print mode? The option "selection" is grayed out.

???

wrote:

I'm using Word 2000. How do I print a section of a word doc (line in a
table) and also capture the heading of the document? I tried putting the
heading in a "header", but the header won't print when I select a section -
only the selection. In excel, it's great that you can pick 'rows to repeat'.
I'm looking for that type of function in word. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Building on what Bob wrote, you need to know that when you select columns in
a Word table, that is not a "contiguous" selection. Because Word reads
tables from left to right along a row and then down to the next row, a
selection of specific columns looks to Word like a series of individual
selections that are separated by the unselected cells on either side. That's
why it turns off the "Selection" option in the Print dialog.

As a workaround, select the columns you don't want to print, and click Table
Delete Columns so that only the ones you do want are still there. Select

the whole remaining table and print -- "Selection" will now be available.
When printing is done, click the Undo button (or press Ctrl+Z) until the
table returns to the original state.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman