Default HELP -- Footer/Margin Problem in Word 2003!!

I've updated a document in Word 2003, SP1, that I inherited from
someone else. The original document printed out OK, and my updated
version looks fine in Print Preview mode. But, when I print out my
version of the document, I have perhaps 3 inches of white space between
the bottom edge of the page (I'm using 8.5x11-inch, letter size paper)
and the page number. The top margin is OK

I have gone into Page Setup and verified that I'm using the same values
as in the original document -- 1-inch margins, top and bottom, header
and footer .5 inch from the edges of the paper. I've also verified
that I haven't inadvertently added text or graphics to the footer,
causing it to intrude into the body text area.

FYI, I've tried printing to two different networked printers at work,
an HP LaserJet 8150, PCL 6, and an HP Color LaserJet 5550, PCL 5c, and
the results (as far as the bottom margin) are disappointingly the same.

I also opened a copy of my file at home, using OpenOffice V2.0, and the
document printed out correctly to my local Lexmark ink jet printer.

FWIW, I'm using Win XP Professional, both at work and at home.

Alan

Charles Kenyon

I suspect that someplace, perhaps in one of the footer definitions, you have
vertical alignment set to center.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Alan

Thanks. I viewed my footers and verified that the vertical alignment
on the Page Setup's Layout tab is set to Top. My file only contains
one section, with the title page having a different footer than the
rest of the document.

Other than the footers, is there anywhere else I should be checking the
vertical alignment? And if the vertical alignment is not the problem,
what else might be causing my woes?

If the document looks okay in Print Preview, then I'm not sure what to
suggest, since this view is usually very WYSIWYG. If you're printing to an
HP LaserJet, however, the problem could be caused by a printer driver issue;
try one of the drivers from http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/index.html See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm for other factors.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Alan

I just solved my own problem, and it's a tad embarassing. I've been
creating drafts documents, inserting comments/questions in little
balloons in the margins. I didn't realize that to accomodate the
printing of the balloons, Word reduces the size of text and graphics to
fit more stuff onto the page. I verified this by printing off the same
"problem" document and suppressing the printing of the balloons, by
selecting "Document" from the "Print what" pull-down in the Print
dialog window; apparently, the default is to print "Document showing
markup". Without the balloons, the pages print normally, the footers
back where they belong..

Now for another question: since I suppressed the in-page print-out of
comment balloons, can I instead print my comments at the end of my
document?

Even though I'm an experienced user of previous versions of Word, I
guess there are a number of little quirks to Word 2003.

Alan