ricaforrica

Default autotext - help me please!

I want to remove all default autotext entries ("salutation", "header/footer",
etc) and create some categories of predefined sentences.

So, I created a new template (Test.dot), went to the "template & add-ins"
organizer and removed all the default entries.
Then, I used word styles to create the new autotext category (which is, as
far as I know, the only way to create these categories). Finally, I entered
some text and created the new autotext entry. In the autotext menu, all
looked perfect: for example, I had only "My Category" with one entry.

The crazy error ocurred when I inserted the autotext (either using the menu
or the keyboard + F3): looking back in the menu, all the old categories which
I have removed where there again!!! Does somebody know what may cause this
problem?

I thought it could somehow be referring to the normal.dot again (despite
that I set the Test.dot in "template & add-ins" and in autotext "look in")
and I even went on removing all entries from normal.dot as well. But when I
inserted some autotext the entries all appeared again (where did they come
from is what I am wondering)!!!

I appreciate if you could help me

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo Pinto.

Ps: are styles the only way to create categories? There will be a problem if
I want an autotext entry to have different formats! I would have to create
"myautotextheader" for titles, "myautotextdefault" for regular text,...

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?cmljYWZvcnJpY2E=?=,

The crazy error ocurred when I inserted the autotext (either using the menu
or the keyboard + F3): looking back in the menu, all the old categories which
I have removed where there again!!! Does somebody know what may cause this
problem?

The first thought that occurs to me is if Word is starting in Safe Mode, thus
recreating the Normal.dot for the current session?

Another possibility could be that you have more than one example of Normal.dot
on your machine, and that you're deleting the entries in one, but they're
"shining through" from the other.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

How do I save my AutoText file to transfer it to another PC? kd1s Microsoft Word Help 3 September 21st 05 07:39 AM
Autocomplete for autotext not working? Dawn Rhoads Microsoft Word Help 1 April 14th 05 01:04 AM
Using form text fields included in an IF Statement with autotext Steve Microsoft Word Help 7 April 8th 05 08:17 AM
simple word question rvance New Users 8 February 1st 05 02:16 AM
Autotext and overtype key KM1 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 31st 05 05:40 AM