Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cold & Confused in Canada

Default Auto Page number with Highlight Changes

Word 2000
In the header of my document I have {Page} of {Num Pages}
I have highlight changes turned on.
The document is protected.

To edit this document, I unprotect the document, make the edits then protect
the document and resave - with highlight changes on this gives me a marked up
copy showing my edits.
Once the edits have been approved I unprotect the document, highlight
changes - accept all edits, protect the document and resave.

The problem is when I save the document all edits are accepted.
But when I reopen the document the NumPages has been updated and Highlight
Changes has marked this as a change.

Since this document is veiwed online - it looks like this is an error or
unaccepted edit. How do I turnoff the autoupdate of this field.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You don't, not if you want it to remain fields.
However, it might help if you were to do a print preview of your document
before reprotecting it. Haven't tested this, but print preview does reset
these fields. The thing is that the x of page x of y must remain active and
must update if it to actually show your current page number.

Is the protection only for track changes or are you protecting for forms as
well?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Cold & Confused in Canada" Cold & Confused in
wrote in message
Word 2000
In the header of my document I have {Page} of {Num Pages}
I have highlight changes turned on.
The document is protected.

To edit this document, I unprotect the document, make the edits then
protect
the document and resave - with highlight changes on this gives me a marked
up
copy showing my edits.
Once the edits have been approved I unprotect the document, highlight
changes - accept all edits, protect the document and resave.

The problem is when I save the document all edits are accepted.
But when I reopen the document the NumPages has been updated and Highlight
Changes has marked this as a change.

Since this document is veiwed online - it looks like this is an error or
unaccepted edit. How do I turnoff the autoupdate of this field.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cold & Confused in Canada

Thanks Charles,
I have tried Manual updating before saving, Print Preview and Printing and
have tried Reinserting the fields. When I close the file the NumPage field
is updated and reads correct. When I open the file it shows it has been
updated, but then when I take off the protection the highlighting goes away.

I am using this for controlled documents - so if a user prints an
uncontrolled copy it cannot be edited and printed without showing the
markups. Yes I know that someone can get around this by a copy and paste or
by retyping in the document. But this protection is for honest users.

I know that the commands are working as they are designed and that when I
open the file it updates the field and therefore the highlight changes does
its job but can you not change this so it will stay a field and update
manually on request.

wrote in message
Word 2000
In the header of my document I have {Page} of {Num Pages}
I have highlight changes turned on.
The document is protected.

To edit this document, I unprotect the document, make the edits then
protect
the document and resave - with highlight changes on this gives me a marked
up
copy showing my edits.
Once the edits have been approved I unprotect the document, highlight
changes - accept all edits, protect the document and resave.

The problem is when I save the document all edits are accepted.
But when I reopen the document the NumPages has been updated and Highlight
Changes has marked this as a change.

Since this document is veiwed online - it looks like this is an error or
unaccepted edit. How do I turnoff the autoupdate of this field.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

If you are using Page X of Y formatting, do both the X and the Y show this
behavior or only the Y? If so, you could lock the Y part. The thing is, if
you lock the X part, you get "Page 3 of 7" on all of your pages.

I don't know of anyway to lock this Page field without getting a weird
result.
--

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cold & Confused in Canada

{ PAGE } of { NUMPAGES } is in the header
{ FILENAME \p } is in the footer

only the { NUMPAGES } updates the other two are okay

But the { NUMPAGES } field is probably updating during a repagination
process when opening the file or printing. Like I said the commands are
working the way they should but if that is the case then I can never have a {
NUMPAGES } field in a protected file with highlight changes on - since it
will always show that it has updated.

I can use the Control / Shift + F11 to Lock this field and then unlock when
or if the total number of pages updates.

Thanks Charles guess I was looking to control the procedure that causes this
to happen instead of the controlling the effect. But this answer will get me
the results I want.