Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
J.Payne

Default show footnotes in a line

My document has a number of very short footnotes--one or two words each. The
default footnote style puts these into a list, which leaves a lot of white
space at the bottom of each page. Is there any way in Word 2003 to display
them side by side, as if they were in a paragraph?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can force Word to do this (with tabs and hidden paragraph marks), but it
won't gain you anything because it will still leave as much room for the
footnotes as if they were stacked. Sorry.