Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jane Davies

Default skipping automatic numbers

Is there a way of skipping automatic number? I work for a Law firm and we
use automatic numbering extensively. We had a button macro set up to do this
but it needs re-writing. You used to be able to right hand click and skip
also. This function is no longer available in Word 2003. The Word help says
to amend the paragraph formatting to suppress line numbers but this does not
work. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word's Help is talking about line numbering, not paragraph numbering. The
best way to "skip" numbering is to apply an unnumbered style. This assumes
you're using a numbered style to begin with and not just applying numbering
using the numbering button. You can have unnumbered styles for every
numbering level. As an example, look at Word's built-in styles, which
include series of List Number and List Bullet styles (List Number, List
Number 2, List Number 3, etc.). For each of these levels, there is also a
List Continue style that has the same indent but no numbering or bullet. (In
addition there are List styles that have a hanging indent but allow you to
type your own number or bullet.)

"Jane Davies" Jane wrote in message
news
Is there a way of skipping automatic number? I work for a Law firm and we
use automatic numbering extensively. We had a button macro set up to do
this
but it needs re-writing. You used to be able to right hand click and skip
also. This function is no longer available in Word 2003. The Word help

says
to amend the paragraph formatting to suppress line numbers but this does

not
work. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SmFuZSBEYXZpZXM=?=,

Is there a way of skipping automatic number? I work for a Law firm and we
use automatic numbering extensively. We had a button macro set up to do this
but it needs re-writing. You used to be able to right hand click and skip
also.

By "skip numbering" you mean have paragraphs in between without numbers? But the
numbers continue normally (IOW you aren't skipping an number, just not numbering
some paragraphs)?

This should be done by applying a different style to the unnumbered paragraphs.
Try this (it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but we can see if it
does the basics):

- Format/Styles and Formatting; the task pane Styles and Formatting appears
- Select the paragraph(s) from which you want to remove the numbers
- click on the entry "Normal" in the task pane

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)