Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rhorton33704 rhorton33704 is offline

Default Unicode problem

I have a number of special characters that can be created from ALT+XXXX.

There are several that use ALT+XXXX numbers above 5000, such as ALT+9660 for
the black down arrow and ALT+9658 for the black right arrow. They work fine
at the business where I consult and at home. Both systems use Windows XP and
Word 2002 and 2003 respectively.

At my regular job I use Windows XP and Word 2000, but the same ALT+XXXX
codes do not work. When I enter the ALT+9660 for example I get a double line
right corner instaead of the down arrow. I have installed the International
Font tools from the Office 2000 Professional SR-1 pack but it still doesn't
work.

I tried selecting Arial Unicode MS font with the extra characters but it
would not "stick" to that font (it reverts back to arial).

What am I doing wrong.

Bob H

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ayman Fadel Ayman Fadel is offline

Default Arial Unicode MS Not Installed (was Unicode problem)

I passed a QuarkXpress 7.0 document to a colleague where I had used Arial
Unicode MS. She uses Windows XP and an older version of MS Office, but does
not have Arial Unicode MS installed.

How can she install it on her machine?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287247 describes the installation process for
MS Word 2002 or MS Office XP, but what if a person does not have either of
these?

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

According to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...e+MS&FVER=1.01

Arial Unicode MS came with the following programs:
Access 2000, Excel 2000, FrontPage 2000, Office 2000 Premium, Office
Professional Edition 2003, Outlook 2000, PowerPoint 2000, Publisher 2000,
and Word 2000.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The version of Office on the machine makes no difference. Any version
of Word will use whatever fonts are installed in Windows.

A possible problem is that the Arial Unicode font file was distributed
only on the product disks of certain Office programs. According to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...e+MS&FVER=1.01
those include Access 2000, Excel 2000, FrontPage 2000, Office 2000
Premium, Outlook 2000, PowerPoint 2000, Publisher 2000, Word 2000, and
Office Professional Edition 2003. I don't see Office XP in that list,
but obviously it, too, included the font.

Technically you could copy the file C:\Windows\Fonts\Arialuni.ttf from
any computer where it's installed and put it on your colleague's
computer, and it would work. Unless she has a license for a version
that includes the font, though, that would be a copyright violation.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman