Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jennifer jennifer is offline

Default insert latin

Hi,
I want to be able to type the english name for a plant animal etc and then
the latin name to be entered afterwards automatically. How do i do it? I am
using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thankyou
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word does not store any reference to latin names of plants and animals that
you can simply call up. You would have to have some form of database of
animal plant names and their associated latin names in order to do this. If
there are any particular ones that you need for a project then set up
autotext entries to insert both name and latin name.

jennifer wrote:
Hi,
I want to be able to type the english name for a plant animal etc and
then the latin name to be entered afterwards automatically. How do i
do it? I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thankyou

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

You can use AutoCorrect. In the AutoCorrect as You Type list, enter the
English name in the left column: in the right column, enter the English name
followed by the Latin name as you need it to appear.

When you type the English name and press the Spacebar, the AutoCorrect
function will enter the full details. For plants with extra long English
names, you can 'cheat' and use a easily remembers short name so that you can
type that and press enter to get the full caboose.

For example you can use 'occi' as your shortcut and when you type it and
press space, it will enter Rhododendron occidentale or something along those
lines. Just make sure the shortcuts are really memorable and obvious and
comprise at least four letter.

Terry

"jennifer" wrote in message
Hi,
I want to be able to type the english name for a plant animal etc and then
the latin name to be entered afterwards automatically. How do i do it? I
am
using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thankyou

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jennifer jennifer is offline

Thankyou Terry. I have an excel spreadsheet with the english and latin names.
is there anyway of inserting from this table the latin when i write the
english in word.
Thankyou

"jennifer" wrote in message
Hi,
I want to be able to type the english name for a plant animal etc and then
the latin name to be entered afterwards automatically. How do i do it? I
am
using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thankyou

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Look at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...utocorrect.htm. The
macro referenced here creates a text file (in tabular format, I think) to
which you might be able to add your entries.

news

"jennifer" wrote in message
Hi,
I want to be able to type the english name for a plant animal etc and
then
the latin name to be entered afterwards automatically. How do i do it?
am
using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thankyou

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rob van Albada Rob van Albada is offline

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:42:05 -0700, ?B?amVubmlmZXI=?=
wrote:

Hi,
I want to be able to type the english name for a plant animal etc and then
the latin name to be entered afterwards automatically. How do i do it? I am
using Microsoft Office Word 2003. Thankyou

What is a plant animal?

If you mean animals and plants, you will have to find the scientific
names yourself. You should be aware that scientific names ('Latin
names') change. For instance a plant can be placed in a different
genus, and then the first part of the name will change.
Thousands of plant names have changed over the years.
If the name is important to you, you should consult a systematic
biologist. Books are of limited value, as they soon become obsolete.

Kind regards,

Rob.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rob van Albada Rob van Albada is offline

Yes, later.

Personally, I have no use for automatic find and replace of scientific
plant names, but I add 'latin names' to my dictionary regularly.
I would be at a loss if I did not have the help of a very experienced
systematic botanist (who also advices me about animal names).
Many - otherwise excellent - lexicographers proudly insert outdated
scientific names in their dictionaries without being aware of it.

I try to be up to date, but I am aware that in this respect my
dictionary also will be (partly) outdated in ten or twenty years time.
Fortunately there are also many names which do not change.

Kind regards,

Rob.