Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Alaska_Word_novice[_2_] Alaska_Word_novice[_2_] is offline

Default Complex Table of Contents in Work 2003

I need to create a table of contents that has the section title and the
regulation code on the same line. Does anyone have any idea how to creat
this so it can be automatically updated as I add to the document.

my section titles appear like this:

Well Locations

20AAC 25.252 (c) 1

I would like the table of contents to appear like this:

Well Locations 20AAC 25.252 (c) 1...........................3

Is this posible? If so how do I set it up?

Can I create my own TOC template to do this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alaska_Word_novice

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Alaska_Word_novice wrote:
I need to create a table of contents that has the section title and
the regulation code on the same line. Does anyone have any idea how
to creat this so it can be automatically updated as I add to the
document.

my section titles appear like this:

Well Locations

20AAC 25.252 (c) 1

I would like the table of contents to appear like this:

Well Locations 20AAC 25.252 (c) 1...........................3

Is this posible? If so how do I set it up?

Can I create my own TOC template to do this?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alaska_Word_novice

I'll assume that you have already applied specific styles to the two pieces
of each title. I'll use "Heading 1" and "Heading 2" styles, but any pair of
styles (including ones you made up) will do, as long as they were applied
uniformly throughout the document.

You need to create a TC field for each title that builds up the information
you want in the table of contents.

First turn on display of hidden text by clicking the ¶ button, because a TC
field is automatically made hidden and you'll need to see what you're doing.

Press Ctrl+F9 to insert a pair of field markers, and type the letters TC
between them. Then type a space and two double-quotes:

{ TC "" }

Between the double-quotes, press Ctrl+F9 again. Inside this pair of markers,
type the text shown below (or replace "Heading 1" with the name of the style
applied to the section titles):

{ TC "{StyleRef "Heading 1"}" }

Now put the cursor just before the last double-quote, type a tab character,
and press Ctrl+F9 a third time:

{ TC "{ StyleRef "Heading 1" } { }" }

Type in the text shown below (or replace "Heading 2" with the name of the
style applied to the regulation codes):

{ TC "{ StyleRef "Heading 1" } { StyleRef "Heading 2" }" }

I recommend that at this point you highlight the whole thing and make it
into an AutoCorrect entry. That would make it easier to insert in many
places rather than copying and pasting.

Put a copy of this TC field at the beginning of the paragraph immediately
after each regulation code. When you select it and press F9 to update the
field, the two interior StyleRef fields will make hidden copies of the
preceding section title and regulation code.

The final piece of this is to insert a table of contents that displays only
the information from the TC fields, not from the regular headings. To do
that, go into the Insert Table of Contents dialog and click the Options
button. Check the box for "Table entry fields" and uncheck the boxes for
"Styles" and "Outline levels". Click OK there and in the TOC dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Jay Freedman wrote:
Alaska_Word_novice wrote:
[...]

For more help, with pictures, see the last part of
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Complex table linking Patch Tables 5 December 7th 07 08:40 PM
Complex table linking Patch Microsoft Word Help 2 December 7th 07 04:06 PM
Table of Contents Word 2003 bill New Users 2 August 21st 06 06:08 PM
table of contents, onable to work with index(point), format etc tobefixed Microsoft Word Help 1 August 29th 05 05:17 PM
Hyperlinks don't work in table of contents Kathy from Maine Microsoft Word Help 4 April 19th 05 09:33 PM