Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave D-C Dave D-C is offline

Default font - Apple Chancery, for example

When I hit Format/Fonts, I see many fonts that I don't have.
For example Apple Chancery. When I go to Settings/Fonts
I don't have that font. Thanks, Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave D-C Dave D-C is offline

When I hit Format/Fonts, I see many fonts that I don't have.
For example Apple Chancery. When I go to Settings/Fonts
I don't have that font. Thanks, Dave

I should have been more clear about my issue:
I don't want the fonts, but I also don't want them to appear in the list.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Have you looked in your font folder? Is it there?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Dave D-C" wrote in message
When I hit Format/Fonts, I see many fonts that I don't have.
For example Apple Chancery. When I go to Settings/Fonts
I don't have that font. Thanks, Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave D-C Dave D-C is offline

Have you looked in your font folder? Is it there?

No. Both Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Fonts and
c:\Windows\Fonts does not show these fonts.
(I don't want the fonts -- I just don't want them to show in the list)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave D-C Dave D-C is offline

Have you looked in your font folder? Is it there?

No. Both Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Fonts and
c:\Windows\Fonts does not show these fonts.
(I don't want the fonts -- I just don't want them to show in the list)

And I should say I am Office 2003/Windows XP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Start - Settings - etc is *not* your fonts folder. C:\Windows\Fonts is. If
the font is not listed in there, you don't have it.

I assume you got a file that used that font at one point. Replace the text
in that font with a font you do have.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Dave D-C" wrote in message
Have you looked in your font folder? Is it there?

No. Both Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Fonts and
c:\Windows\Fonts does not show these fonts.
(I don't want the fonts -- I just don't want them to show in the list)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave D-C[_2_] Dave D-C[_2_] is offline

Bingo -- that's where they are. Google gives one hit:
http://www.gfdi.fsu.edu/Files/Printe...r/xrx8500n.ppd

My (Xerox Phaser 8500N) doc specs says there are 139 PostScript Type 1
and 81 PCL Fonts. I don't want them. I may have deleted them via
Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Fonts, but they are still in the printer
driver. (I see a *.ppd file is a PostScript Printer Description.)

I'll check with Xerox to see if there is a utility or install option
to get rid of them. Or at least list them. Are there any Windows
functions that work with printer resident fonts? Thanks a bunch.

D-C wrote:
When I hit Format/Fonts, I see many fonts that I don't have.
For example Apple Chancery. [They are not in my Fonts directory]
I don't want the fonts, but I also don't want them to appear in the list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You should be able to use these fonts in any Windows application when you
print to that printer (they'll show up in the Font list with a printer
icon). You may even be able to install the fonts in your Fonts folder and
use them with other printers as well. Check the CD that came with the
printer to see if it has fonts. My LaserJet 4100 came with a CD that
included TrueType equivalents of its PCL fonts.

If you're asking whether they would be required for Windows, then, no,
probably not. You should be able to print a font list from the printer. I'm
not familiar with the Xerox, but one of the many functions controlled from
the control panel of my LaserJet is a PCL Typeface List, and I think most
printers are set up to print a variety of test and sample documents. Consult
your manual to find out how to do this.

D-C wrote:
When I hit Format/Fonts, I see many fonts that I don't have.
For example Apple Chancery. [They are not in my Fonts directory]
I don't want the fonts, but I also don't want them to appear in the list.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave D-C[_2_] Dave D-C[_2_] is offline

wrote:
You should be able to use these fonts in any Windows application ..

I don't like most of them and I don't like wading thru a big list.
So: After some research, I
1) Deleted my printer (Xerox 8500N)
2) Copied the Xerox CD.
3) The *.ppd file had the big list of fonts, most of which I didn't
want. So I deleted those I didn't want and replaced the file.
4) Installed the printer with the modified CD.
I am happy to say I have just what I want --
My printer works and I don't have numerous fonts I don't want.

Thanks again for giving me the key tip.
And thanks to the other MVPs/contributors in this group.
Love it. Dave