buffaloes_inc

Default document tabs don't line up on different pc's

Hi folks

Hope you may be able to help with this annoying and seemingly unintentional
problem.

I have a word document saved on one pc that I have emailed to other pc's.
The document is basically a list of people and their phone numbers, laid out
on the page using tabs so that it reads in columns...name number
name number...down the page.

Although it displays fine on my original document and some other pc's, there
are a number of pc's in which the document, when opened, has the text all
cramped up and basically in a right mess. There doesn't seem to be any way
to reorder the lines easily so that the original orientation of the 'tabbed
table' is recreated.

Any clues?

Hope this all makes sense. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Margaret Aldis

I think the problem is that you are using "default tabs" for your table.

You would be much better off formatting this as a proper table. If you can't
do that, then at least set fixed tab positions for the paragraphs.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"buffaloes_inc" wrote in message
Hi folks

Hope you may be able to help with this annoying and seemingly
unintentional problem.

I have a word document saved on one pc that I have emailed to other pc's.
The document is basically a list of people and their phone numbers, laid
out on the page using tabs so that it reads in columns...name number
name number...down the page.

Although it displays fine on my original document and some other pc's,
there are a number of pc's in which the document, when opened, has the
text all cramped up and basically in a right mess. There doesn't seem to
be any way to reorder the lines easily so that the original orientation of
the 'tabbed table' is recreated.

Any clues?

Hope this all makes sense. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Daiya Mitchell

I think the problem is that you are using "default tabs" for your table.

You would be much better off formatting this as a proper table. If you can't
do that, then at least set fixed tab positions for the paragraphs.

You should be able to use Table | Convert Text to Table to help reformat it.