pel

Default Make spelling check recognize text references in Harvard style.

When I work on my thesis in the Swedish version of Microsoft Word and use
the spell checking function, it treats text references like faults in
language. For example: "(Noyons 1999, s. 3)" (where s. is the Swedish
abbreviation for page)gets the message that the sentence lacks a verb, or
that a paranthese is missing at the end of the first paranthesis and at the
beginnin at the last. Word should be made to recognize this kind of
reference! Also, paranthesis should be able to have more than one sentence,
without Word seeing just once at a time.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Daiya Mitchell

You can format the references to not be checked. Select them, go to Tools |
Language, and check the "do not check spelling and grammar" box. Then Word
will skip them.

You might create a character style with this formatting and apply it to all
your references. See the 4 links re styles he
http://shaunakelly.com/word/index.html

You might also be interested in these links re long documents:
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

On 11/5/05 5:39 AM, "pel" wrote:

When I work on my thesis in the Swedish version of Microsoft Word and use
the spell checking function, it treats text references like faults in
language. For example: "(Noyons 1999, s. 3)" (where s. is the Swedish
abbreviation for page)gets the message that the sentence lacks a verb, or
that a paranthese is missing at the end of the first paranthesis and at the
beginnin at the last. Word should be made to recognize this kind of
reference! Also, paranthesis should be able to have more than one sentence,
without Word seeing just once at a time.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=12272520-7899
-401b-a904-8cddc0c0d06c&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

I don't use the grammar checker at all, but I can't imagine how Word could
find any fault with these references. As Daiya points out, however, a "no
proofing" character style will solve the problem.

.. .

On 11/5/05 5:39 AM, "pel" wrote:

When I work on my thesis in the Swedish version of Microsoft Word and

use
the spell checking function, it treats text references like faults in
language. For example: "(Noyons 1999, s. 3)" (where s. is the Swedish
abbreviation for page)gets the message that the sentence lacks a verb,

or
that a paranthese is missing at the end of the first paranthesis and at

the
beginnin at the last. Word should be made to recognize this kind of
reference! Also, paranthesis should be able to have more than one

sentence,
without Word seeing just once at a time.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the

"I

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=12272520-7899
-401b-a904-8cddc0c0d06c&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/