deb

Default Turn off Tracking Changes in 2003

Is there any way in Word 2003 to turn off tracking changes once and for all.
I do NOT want to see the tracking changes in the document and do not care
what changes are made. Can they be turned off? I have to send a document to
several different departments and do not want to have to deal with this in
200+ documents when they send them back.
Anne Troy

I think there's another issue in play, Deb. Maybe? Check out the article.
http://www.officearticles.com/outloo..._outloo k.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"deb" wrote in message
Is there any way in Word 2003 to turn off tracking changes once and for

all.
I do NOT want to see the tracking changes in the document and do not care
what changes are made. Can they be turned off? I have to send a document

several different departments and do not want to have to deal with this in
200+ documents when they send them back.

Make sure that Track Changes is turned off. Then, on the Reviewing toolbar,
click the arrow beside Accept Change and choose Accept All Changes in
Document. If there are comments, click beside Delete Comment and choose
Delete All Comments in Document.

"deb" wrote in message
Is there any way in Word 2003 to turn off tracking changes once and for

all.
I do NOT want to see the tracking changes in the document and do not care
what changes are made. Can they be turned off? I have to send a document

several different departments and do not want to have to deal with this in
200+ documents when they send them back.

deb

Thanks Anne - I'll try that. I hate tracking changes and in the previous
version we had I always made sure when the departments sent me documents I
turned them off under Tools before I saved the documents. I couldn't seem to
find anything under help or at Microsoft to do this (and we just recently
upgraded to 2003). I did find one article that said something about tracking
changes once and for all, but it didn't address this issue exactly. It spoke
about accepting all the changes. That's ok if I have to, but I'd rather not
deal with them at all. THANKS again. If that doesn't take care of it, I'll
be back. ; )

"deb" wrote in message
Is there any way in Word 2003 to turn off tracking changes once and for

all.
I do NOT want to see the tracking changes in the document and do not care
what changes are made. Can they be turned off? I have to send a document

several different departments and do not want to have to deal with this in
200+ documents when they send them back.

deb

That's what I thought. I can't see why this change was made in the newer
version. For someone that works with a lot of documents and has to send them
between other users (and doesn't care about the changes because it is a form
and there will necessarily be changes in every document), this causes major
problems. I'm wishing my office would go back to office 2000. Thanks for
your help.

"deb" wrote in message
Is there any way in Word 2003 to turn off tracking changes once and

for
all.
I do NOT want to see the tracking changes in the document and do not

care
what changes are made. Can they be turned off? I have to send a

document
several different departments and do not want to have to deal with

this in
200+ documents when they send them back.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Deb,

The behavior that changed in Word 2003 is to
try to make it more obvious if there were 'tracked'
changes active in the document.

If Track changes was on in Word 2000 they could easily
not be seen unless you were looking for them.

You can still turn off Track changes (TRK dimmed) in
the Status Bar in Print Layout view in both versions
and in Tools=Options=Security in Word 2003 you can turn
on the setting to warn you if there are tracked changes
in the document before printing, emailing, etc.

=========
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Margaret Aldis

Let's take your particular problem in order:

First, you have to make sure that the document you send out a) is not
tracking changes and b) does not contain any tracked changes. That means
accepting any changes already there, and making sure track changes is OFF on
your own machine when you edit and save the document.

If you keep finding track changes ON in new documents, you also need to turn
it OFF it in the template you are starting from.

Next, it would be nice if you could stop the departments turning track
changes on. But I'll bet they'll leave it they way you send it to them so
let's not worry about that.

Finally, if they do track changes, you don't want to see them in the 200
documents you get back. You can handle that by going to Tools Options
Security and unchecking the "Make hidden markup visible" checkbox. But when
you do that, be aware that any changes will still be in the files. Don't get
caught out tracking in your own documents and sending those changes out to
someone else. It would really be better just to Accept All (it's only one
click on the menu that drops down beside the Accept button - you don't have
to accept each change individually) and turn tracked changes off on any
document you receive that is showing revisions.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure that Track Changes is turned off. Then, on the Reviewing
toolbar,
click the arrow beside Accept Change and choose Accept All Changes in
Document. If there are comments, click beside Delete Comment and choose
Delete All Comments in Document.

so
all may benefit.