Keep with Next

Old December 7th 05, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Keep with Next

It would be very nice if "keep with next" could be applied strictly to
individual LINES of texts rather than whole paragraphs. If I want a page
break to NOT occur between two particular paragraphs, in other words if I
want the end of one paragraph to lead on the same page to the beginning of
the next paragraph, my options aren't that good. I have to manipulate the
text placement in an unnatural way. For instance, I might have to insert a
hard page break somewhere in the middle of the first paragraph or--an even
more lame approach--inserting extra carriage returns some place above to move
the entire text body downward so the page break doesn't "naturally" occur
between the paragraphs in question. Or I could select "Keep with Next" and
move the ENTIRE first paragraph to the next page, which creates a ridiculous
amount of white space at the bottom of the higher page if the first paragraph
is of any considerable length. Why can't I just say, "keep these two or
three lines here together on the same page?" Or maybe I could say, "don't
break the page between these paragraphs here?"

Thanks.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Old December 8th 05, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What you are describing is the Block Protect feature in WordPerfect. There
is nothing equivalent to this in Word. "Keep with next" has specific rules
(one of which is explained in my reply to your other thread), but it is not
intended to keep lines of the same paragraph together. That is the function
of "Widow/orphan control" and "Keep lines together," and the latter is
all-or-nothing.

KWN does ordinarily work the way you describe, with the exception I explain
in my other post.