Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marion G Marion G is offline

Default REF field formatting problem

Hi guys, I'm using Word 2003 but I've had this problem in other versions too.
My ASK is bolded, and the first occurrence of the REF field is bolded. So far
so good. Then I want another occurrence of the REF field further down the
doc, this time unbolded. I insert the field (don't know if it makes any
difference, but I just Ctrl+F9 and type REF Name). I ensure that the field,
and a space either side of the field, is all unbolded. I've also checked that
the \* mergeformat switch has been added. When I run the question eg
answering "Fred Smith", my supposedly unbolded field has "Fred" in regular
but "Smith" in bold. How does Word manage to split the single field into two
types of format? I'm sure if we wanted something like that Microsoft would
say it was impossible LOL. I've also tried doing it the other way, with my
ASK unbolded. That's then fine for my unbolded result, but stuffs up my bold
result in exactly the same way. I'm hitting my head against a brick wall. Can
anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marion G Marion G is offline

I should've also added, the ASK and both REFs are in Normal style, which is a
very plain vanilla TNR 12pt, nothing fancy at all.