Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert D. Robert D. is offline

Default Word 2003 - Page Break Issues

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me out. Ever since I installed
the compatability package for office 2007 files to be viewed in previous
versions of office I've had some troubles. I'm currently on 2003 and before
the package install I was able to open a particularly old file format and it
would automatically insert page breaks. This, in my situation, is a good
thing. After the installation, the "File Conversion" box pops up and asks me
to select which encoding makes my file viewable. I've tried all different
encodings in the conversion options and they all give me the same problem.
The page breaks are no longer there. Instead, the character of the number "1"
is in its place. I don't know what changed that made this an issue. I tried
uninstalling the compatability package and reinstalling Office. No luck. The
File Conversion box still pops up and the page breaks are replaced with
"1's." Does anyone know of a workaround that will allow me to simply open the
file as before and have these numbers replaced with page breaks?