Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mason C Mason C is offline

Default Word v WordPerfect ?

This may be the wrong place but....

I'm struggling with Word2007 which I bought, thinking to have
the latest and best word processor.

I have on my computer: WP 5.1(dos), AmiPro3, Word95,
Word2007 and WordPerfect10 -- plus three or more text editors.

WordPerfect (dos or win) and AmiPro work perfectly.

Word 2007 has a serious bug but apart from that, I find
WordPerfect10 *much* easier to use; makes a clean code
possible because the code can be seen, searched and edited;
and does everything I can imagine needing.

By comparison, Word2007 seems like a descent into hell.

But WP10 seems to be abandoned -- if that matters.

Am I nuts? Where should I be asking this?

Mason C
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You should use whichever program you prefer, and whichever works best
for you.

"latest and best" is a fallacy when it comes to technology (in my
opinion), for two reasons--
1) "best" is totally subjective and what's best for one person is not
best for another, despite many attempts to claim something is "best"
2) "latest", in this case, means a radical redesign, and it's always
good to give radical redesigns a while to work the kinks out and get the
workarounds up to speed. Although, skipping from Word 95 (over Word 97,
2000, 2002, 2003) might have set you up for a tough adjustment
regardless of the massive changes in Word 2007.

I don't think WP has been abandoned. When was 10 released, and when 9?
You should ask on WP forums about that--probably some on the Corel site.

Although, re your specific point about cleaner code--WP and Word work
very differently, and if you are consciously aware of that, the switch
can be easier. These articles are old, and not written for the Word 2007
interface, but they will explain the concepts and give you the menu
commands/keywords to toss into Help or ask about, if you choose to
persist with Word.

How Word differs from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm

Some Tips and "Gotchas" for those who are new to Word
Especially if migrating from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm

Is There Life After "Reveal Codes"?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

WordPerfect to Word converters (and why none of them are perfect)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm

Mason C wrote:
This may be the wrong place but....

I'm struggling with Word2007 which I bought, thinking to have
the latest and best word processor.

I have on my computer: WP 5.1(dos), AmiPro3, Word95,
Word2007 and WordPerfect10 -- plus three or more text editors.

WordPerfect (dos or win) and AmiPro work perfectly.

Word 2007 has a serious bug but apart from that, I find
WordPerfect10 *much* easier to use; makes a clean code
possible because the code can be seen, searched and edited;
and does everything I can imagine needing.

By comparison, Word2007 seems like a descent into hell.

But WP10 seems to be abandoned -- if that matters.

Am I nuts? Where should I be asking this?

Mason C

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mason C Mason C is offline

Mason C wrote:
This may be the wrong place but....

I'm struggling with Word2007 which I bought, thinking to have
the latest and best word processor.

I have on my computer: WP 5.1(dos), AmiPro3, Word95,
Word2007 and WordPerfect10 -- plus three or more text editors.

WordPerfect (dos or win) and AmiPro work perfectly.

Word 2007 has a serious bug but apart from that, I find
WordPerfect10 *much* easier to use; makes a clean code
possible because the code can be seen, searched and edited;
and does everything I can imagine needing.

By comparison, Word2007 seems like a descent into hell.

But WP10 seems to be abandoned -- if that matters.

Am I nuts? Where should I be asking this?

Daiya, this was very helpful. I think my book will be
created in WP10, with all due respect to the greater
sophistication of Word.

Many thanks to you (and others here) for all the help given me.

Mason C masonc.home.netcom.com