Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Danielle T

Default level outlines

In a TOC I want to add the first couple of words as a point of refence rather
than the whole sentance. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RGFuaWVsbGUgVA==?=,

In a TOC I want to add the first couple of words as a point of refence rather
than the whole sentance. Is this possible?

A TOC will build on three things:

- text formatted with a specified style
- text formatted with outline levels
- TC fields

In this case, it probably makes most sense to use TC fields, so that you can
specify exactly what you want to appear. Search Word's Help on the term: TC
field and pay special attention to the Switches.

Press Ctrl+F9 to insert a pair of field brackets in the document. Within these
brackets, type: TC "the entry you prefer" \l 2

where you substitute your preferred text and entry level.

In Insert/References/Indexes and Tables/Table of Contents, in order to generate
the Table of Contents, click "Options" and deactivate everything you don't need
(styles, the checkbox for Outline levels) and make sure "Table entry fields" is
activated.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org