kojak kojak is offline
Junior Member

Default Word 2003 Bookmarks and Document Map

Dear People

I would like to have a open window on the left side of my document open permanently with the list of Bookmarks there in location order so I can navigate between marks.

Document Map allows only navigation between formal headings, not something I want. I want to be able to mark any word in the document, which will represent a theme or a progression in time through the novel but they are not headings.

I don't mind what the mark is called or how it is set up as long as I can have an open window docked on the left with the marks all there and live with the doc. The problem with Bookmarks is that the dialogue box is tiny, and when open one cannnot work on the doc.

I suspect someone will know how to use the Document Map for this in some way. I'd be grateful for some help. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

"kojak" wrote

I would like to have a open window on the left
side of my document open permanently with
the list of Bookmarks there in location order
so I can navigate between marks.

I guess, there will be no possibility :-(.

Document Map allows only navigation between
formal headings,

The Document Map will display each *paragraph* where an outline level
is applied. Outline levels can't be applied to single words - therefore
no solution for your bookmarked words.

I want to be able to mark any word in the
document,which will represent a theme or
a progression in time through the novel
but they are not headings.

As a workaround you can insert a list of cross-references (as
hyperlinks) to your bookmarks at the end of the document.
(Using TC fields instead of bookmarks would be more comfortable,
because TC fields are used to create a table of contents.)
Then you can split the window, and show the cross-references or the
table of content on the bottom. But there will be no way to show the
list on the left sideof the window. (Maybe, when inserting the TOC
within a frame, but that would not be handy.)

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

kojak kojak is offline
Junior Member

Lisa

Would Word 2010 have what I want ie:

A docked window to the left of my text document with a list of bookmarks in location order so that I can double-click to take me to the spot of that bookmark?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hello,

"kojak" schrieb

Would Word 2010 have what I want ie:
A docked window to the left of my text document
with a list of bookmarks in location order so that
I can double-click to take me to the spot of
that bookmark?

there is no difference between Word 2010 and Word 2003 to find a
special bookmark: You can use F5 (= Go To).

In Word 2010 a Navigation Pane can be displayed on the left side of the
document.
The Navigation Pane works similar to the Document Map of former Word
versions. It will show each paragraph, where an outline level has been
applied.
Additionally there are two tabs to show search results
(http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/fiv...tion-pane/267).

--
Cheers
Lisa [MS MVP Word]