Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jac

Default Headings are not displayed

Hi all,
Word 2003: for sometimes, line headings applied are no longer displayed on
the working documen, there not printed as well
Instead, a new style is appearing on the styls list
For instance when Heading1 is applied, then a new style "Heading, 1" appears
in the style list, but no style is displayed
This problem occurs only with styles, meaning I can apply any font to the
text and the text displays with this font
Has someone an idea where is the problem and the setup to modify
I tried "Repair" and "Re install" from original CD with no effect.
I remove the normal.dot for a new one no effect
Thanks for your help
Jac
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

How are you "applying" the style?

In ToolsOptionsEdit, do you have "Prompt to update style" switched on?

If you don't, and you select some text and type the name of the style you
want in the Styles field on the Formatting toolbar, you will indeed create a
new style with the name you typed instead of applying the closest existing
style.

If you apply the styles by clicking their names in the Styles and Formatting
Task Pane, you will not create new styles.

On 30/3/06 12:46 AM, in article
, "Jac"
wrote:

Hi all,
Word 2003: for sometimes, line headings applied are no longer displayed on
the working documen, there not printed as well
Instead, a new style is appearing on the styls list
For instance when Heading1 is applied, then a new style "Heading, 1" appears
in the style list, but no style is displayed
This problem occurs only with styles, meaning I can apply any font to the
text and the text displays with this font
Has someone an idea where is the problem and the setup to modify
I tried "Repair" and "Re install" from original CD with no effect.
I remove the normal.dot for a new one no effect
Thanks for your help
Jac

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jac

Yes, "Prompt to update style" is switched on - I tried both with and without
- no effect
I tried to apply the stye from the task pane, no effect- still creating a
new style
I remove completely Word from office -reboot - reinstall word- new normal
..dot - same problem
I also noticed that Table Auto format is not working - i get "there is not
sufficient memory" displayed even when no programm are loaded
Is there a way to totally RESET Word parameters to default, as you install
word for the first time - or what to erase to really desinstall Wrod prior to
a fresh relaod
Thanks for your feedback
Jac

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Jac:

I don't know what makes you think that this problem is in "Word"??

Uninstalling/re-installing/erasing Word will have no effect. There's
nothing wrong with Word. The problem exists in one or more of the documents
and templates you are working with.

I would hazard a guess that your Windows Registry is very unwell indeed, and
that is part of your problem. "Insufficient Memory" is a generic error that
usually means "I can't find a piece of the software I was trying to load."

Changing to a new Normal.dot will affect only documents you create in the
FUTURE. Documents that already exist may have bad styles in them, and that
will continue.

After re-installing Word, did you re-apply the service pack? If not, that's
part of the problem. You are running a mis-matched set of software modules,
and that may explain the error.

When you changed to a new Normal.dot, exactly how did you do that? There
can be several copies of Normal.dot on a computer. If you hit the wrong
one, you would not have fixed the problem. If Word was running when you did
it, it would have promptly saved the old one back over the top of the new
one. If Outlook was running when you did it, so was Word, so it would again
have saved the "old" Normal.dot back over the top of the new one as soon as
you closed Word, logged off or rebooted.

To totally reset Word, go to the Help menu and look for the "Detect and
Repair" item. Run it (it takes a while, be prepared to wait, and have your
CD handy, it may ask for it). After that, re-apply the latest service
release.

One of the bugs cured by the service release is this creating of new styles.
The rule is that if you have the whole paragraph selected when you apply a
style, or NONE of the paragraph selected (just an insertion point in the
paragraph) Word applies the style you select. If you have text selected but
not the paragraph mark, Word will create a new paragraph style based on and
linked to the original style and apply that instead.

What the Service Release fix does is hide this so you do not "see" the new
style. But that's what's happening, and it breaks the styles in your
document.

The ultimate fix is to turn ON "Smart Paragraph Selection", Turn OFF "Keep
Track of Formatting" and show your paragraph marks while editing so you can
see what you are doing.

Sorry: Linked Styles (as Microsoft calls them) were always a silly idea,
but they won't fix them so we have to learn to prevent them.

Cheers

On 1/4/06 4:39 PM, in article
, "Jac"

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jac

Hi John
Thanks for your time and your response
Reinstalling Word? I did not what to do else to solve the problem, and it
didnt€¦the way I did!
Windows registry wrong? I am using XP Home dont know how to correct
Normal.dot ? Well in Documents and settings, Applications , Microsoft
Template, I rename Nomal.dot with another name (Word closed of course)
After reinstalling, I check Office Update, everything is updated
"Detect and Repair" has been ran and service release re-applied
Smart Paragraph / Keep Track of , on or off doesnt change anythng
Repair from CD also did its job
Thank you anyway for your attention!

wrote:

[...]

Numbering of headings starting at Heading 2 Kamilla Winther Page Layout 3 March 27th 06 09:42 AM
Adding Numbers to Headings Peyton Todd Page Layout 3 January 11th 06 03:29 PM
Headings seyyah New Users 5 January 3rd 06 09:32 AM
Cross Referencing Headings Mary Lee Microsoft Word Help 7 August 26th 05 08:42 PM
outline-numbered headings for appendices wlm Microsoft Word Help 1 June 28th 05 09:52 PM