LurfysMa

Default Alt+Shift+Up/Down Arrow

For years I have been using alt+shift+up/down arrow to "move"
paragraphs up or down in a document. I can't remember now where I
discovered it, but I believe it is largely undocumented, but it is one
of the top 2-3 features in Word. I use it hundreds of times every day.

Anyway, it doesn't always work. Starting in Word 2000, I think, it
would no longer move text paragraphs through a table. It would move
the table rows through the text, so I had a work-around.

Now I have a document in which every time I try it, it will grab an
adjacent paragraph and move both of them. I can't figure this out.
It's just certain paragraphs.

I have checked the paragraph and style definitions for those that work
and those that don't and they seem identical.

I have checked that they are really paragraphs (and not just
linefeeds).

I have even copied the formatting (ctrl+shift+c/v) from those that
work to those that don't and they still don't work.

If I copy those paragraphs to a different document where everything is
working, those paragraphs still fail in the new document.

If I copy just the text without the paragraph mark to a different
place in the document it will work just fine, so it has to be
something in the paragraph mark.

Any ideas? This is a minor problem because I can always copy just the
text, but I would like to solve it.

I sure wish MSFT would make this an official feature. It is incredibly
handy and a powerful shortcut.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Win 2000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
CyberTaz

All respect for the troubleshooting you've done, but have you specifically
checked in FormatParagraph--Line & Page Breaks for "Keep with Next"
settings or "Keep Lines Together"?

Just a reminder, but just check _one_ para at a time. If you select 2 or
more you will get an inaccurate read in the dialog box if they are not all
set the same way.

Regards |:)

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

LurfysMa

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:19:02 -0400, CyberTaz
wrote:

All respect for the troubleshooting you've done, but have you specifically
checked in FormatParagraph--Line & Page Breaks for "Keep with Next"
settings or "Keep Lines Together"?

Yes, I should have mentioned that as well. All of the problem
paragraphs have both "Keep lines together" and "Keep with next"
unchecked.

I just ran another test. I copied two of the problem paragraphs
(including paragraph marks) to another document where all of the
paragraphs work properly. Not only do they fail in the new document,
but they cause the paragraph just ahead of them to fail as well.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Win 2000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Klaus Linke

Another thing to try: Go to Outline view, select all, and click on the
"expand" button (with the "+" on it).
Then change back to the view you use.

Does it work now?

The shortcuts make a mess if the text you're currently in is collapsed in
Outline view.
IMO, that's a bug... since -- as you say -- the shortcuts are extremely
helpful in all views.

Greetings,
Klaus

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com