Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DebraH DebraH is offline

Default MailMerge and Outlook Task Item

Hi. I have inquired about this before and I still don't know if this is
possible.

I want to do an email merge and instead of sending a message I want to send
a task item.

Microsoft support gave me some complicated programming solution, but
shouldn't it be as simple as having the mailmerge use the outlook task
template instead of the outlook message template?
--
Debra H
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Microsoft support gave me some complicated programming solution,

If they did that then the chances are that that's the simplest way to solve
the problem as they understand it.

shouldn't it be as simple as having the mailmerge use the outlook task
template instead of the outlook message template?

Well, Word doesn't really use an "Outlook message template" when it merges
to e-mail. It just constructs an email using Microsoft's MAPI standards that
could be sent via any suitable MAPI-enabled e-mail client, not just Outlook.
So doing something with Outlook tasks would be a bit more Outlook-specific
and would require that Word understood more about Outlook tasks. Then you
have to consider exactly what Word is supposed to send. Would it have to
send exactly the same structure and content of message that Outlook produces
when you click Assign Task, then Send the completed form? Which details
would be compulsory, and which optional? And so on?

Perhaps I'm missing the point, though...

Peter Jamieson

"DebraH" wrote in message
Hi. I have inquired about this before and I still don't know if this is
possible.

I want to do an email merge and instead of sending a message I want to
send
a task item.

Microsoft support gave me some complicated programming solution, but
shouldn't it be as simple as having the mailmerge use the outlook task
template instead of the outlook message template?
--
Debra H

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
debraholloway debraholloway is offline

Nope. I think you have it. So can it be done and if so how? The other
alternative is to create a fake project plan and do it through microsoft
project.
--
Debra H.

"DebraH" wrote in message
Hi. I have inquired about this before and I still don't know if this is
possible.

I want to do an email merge and instead of sending a message I want to
send
a task item.

Microsoft support gave me some complicated programming solution, but
shouldn't it be as simple as having the mailmerge use the outlook task
template instead of the outlook message template?
--
Debra H

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Debra,

The trouble is I don't really know exactly what "it" is.

To me, your best bet for sending Outlook tasks automatically is to automate
Outlook, which is almost certainly what Microsoft has suggested.

I wonder if www.slipstick.com has any stuff like that?

Peter Jamieson

"DebraH" wrote in message
Hi. I have inquired about this before and I still don't know if this
is
possible.

I want to do an email merge and instead of sending a message I want to
send
a task item.

Microsoft support gave me some complicated programming solution, but
shouldn't it be as simple as having the mailmerge use the outlook task
template instead of the outlook message template?
--
Debra H

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To me, your best bet for sending Outlook tasks automatically is to
automate Outlook, which is almost certainly what Microsoft has suggested.

Unless all you really need to do is send relatively ordinary e-mails that
have task-related information, perhaps taken from MS Project (or whatever
you are trying to start from)

In which case a critical question would be whether you already have a method
for getting the necessary info. from that data source.

Peter Jamieson