Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Credit Guy Credit Guy is offline

Default want word to choose a defined paragraph based on a value in merge

I would like to have a single word merge document but have a paragraph in the
letter change based on a value in a merge file. For example, the customer has
a credit rating of 1, he gets a nasty paragraph. If he has a 5 in the field
he gets the nice paragraph. It is the Word document that chooses which
paragraph to use will base it's decision on a predefined criteria. eg if
credref 3 then nice else nasty.
I am creating the merge file from a CIS system which determines the credit
value but I want word to choose the appropriate paragraph. I hear it can be
done but can't find it in help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You would use and If...then...Else field for that purpose.

You can create it directly from the keyboard, using Ctrl F9 to insert the
field delimiters { }

{ IF { MERGEFIELD credref } 3 "You are such a nice person for paying your
bills on time" "You dirty rotten scroundrel. Pay up or else." }

Change the words within the quotes to suit your taste. Use Alt+F9 to toggle
off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.