Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rhino

Default Getting full menus

How do I make Word show me the full menus from the main toolbar, such as
File, Tools, etc.?

I've only been using Word a few days but I find that its default behaviour
is to give me only a few of the many options available on each menu and then
to indicate the availability of other options by showing me a

\/
\/

symbol at the bottom of each menu.

I've discovered that I can get the full menu by double-clicking on the
specific menu word, e.g. Tools, but that only seems to work for a short
time, then it goes back to giving me the short menus.

This seems like the sort of behaviour that would be controlled via a user
preference but I can't find anything in Tools/Options that appears to turn
this behaviour off.

Can anyone tell me how to make Word show me full menus _all_ of the time?

--
Rhino

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:28:02 -0500 from Rhino
:

Can anyone tell me how to make Word show me full menus _all_ of the time?

They don't make it easy, do they?

Right click on the main menu, select "Customize", then on the
"Options" tab check "always show full menus".

P.S. I did find this in help, by searching for "short menus" (no
quotes).

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rhino

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:28:02 -0500 from Rhino
:

Can anyone tell me how to make Word show me full menus _all_ of the time?

They don't make it easy, do they?

Right click on the main menu, select "Customize", then on the
"Options" tab check "always show full menus".

P.S. I did find this in help, by searching for "short menus" (no
quotes).

A belated thanks for pointing this out to me, Stan! I finally got back to
this thread just now after asking the question several days ago....

I didn't know the Customize menu existed. Ironically, I think I missed it
because Word decided to show me the short menu, which didn't contain the
Customize menu :-)

I have my full menus now and am a happy camper again :-)

--
Rhino

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:58:32 -0500 from Rhino
:
"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:28:02 -0500 from Rhino
:
Can anyone tell me how to make Word show me full menus _all_ of the time?

Right click on the main menu, select "Customize", then on the
"Options" tab check "always show full menus".

A belated thanks for pointing this out to me, Stan! I finally got back to
this thread just now after asking the question several days ago....

Happy to help -- thanks for letting us know!

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
P D Sterling

Please give me explicit contact instructions, as I want to send you roses
for Valentine's Day - I gather you are up in Dryden; I am a Cornellian from
North Syracuse, and made the crawl down Rte 13 too many times!

Seriously, this has bugged me too too much - I *hate* being helped almost as
much as I hate being unable to format these messages to suit. I want it
all!!
--
Regards,

P D Sterling
www.pdsterling.com
214/520-6655 voice
214/550-2618 FAX
"Rhino" wrote in message

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Tue, 07 Feb 2006 04:00:47 GMT from P D Sterling
:
Please give me explicit contact instructions, as I want to send you roses
for Valentine's Day - I gather you are up in Dryden; I am a Cornellian from
North Syracuse, and made the crawl down Rte 13 too many times!

Yes, I'm in Dryden, and you're right about that Route 13 crawl. :-(

Roses are a nice thought but let's take them as read. So many people
have helped _me_ in these newsgroups that I'm happy to make what
contributions I can; your thanks are enough.

However, for anyone who finds my Web site helpful, there's a page
where they can make donations to help me pay for the bandwidth:
http://oakroadsystems.com/about/donate.htm

http://OakRoadSystems.com/